Upland birdy land?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by andrew, Jan 9, 2007.

1. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    In your honest opinions if one were to buy land on the dry side of the state where would you buy to hunt birds, have good access to lakes for fishing, and how much land would you buy? Oh when your creating my lot for me keep in mind cost...so roughly land that is 1-1.5k per acre.
  2. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Andrew, Tonasket and northwards would be my choice for the biggest bang for the buck for property and lots of recreational opportunities in any direction.

There's some challenges to building and living that far away from everything, but there is definitely a payoff in term of some wild open country.
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +769 / 1
    I've probably got more questions than answers right now...

How do you propose to use the land? Build right away? Build later, or not at all? Use only for recreation? Plan to retire there? Access year round(Rte. 20 is a no-go for a few months each winter).

That being said, Jim is correct, Tonasket and North-East. Republic isn't bad, but lakes are farther away. Oroville is where I chose to build, lot's of lakes and plenty of bird hunting. Grouse, quail, pheasant, even the occasional chukar. Ducks are a real untapped resource up there too...

Look for repo's for both land and homes, sometimes they can be quite a bargain.

5 acres can be plenty to work with. I've got 20 and only really use 4 or 5 actively.
  4. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I very partial to SE Washington. I'd buy land around Dayton. Lots of pheasant, quail, huns. Plus it's loaded with deer and turkeys. And you're cose to the ronde, tucannon, etc.
  5. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Thanks all...great input, and questions. I'll give you some backgroung as to why I'd like land. I grew up in Chicago, and my family would spend a few weeks at a time up at our cabin in Wisconsin (Lake Geneva). Ever since I moved out here and started my own family I have wanted a place to take the family in both winter and summer. Have the ability to hunt on my own property, fish at some nearby water, but also have opportunities available to my kid(s) and wife to do summer and winter activities (how I'd love for my daughter to be a hunter!:thumb: ). This land would be one of those "passed down through generations" that you envy when someone tells you that they are going to their great grand fathers cabin. That is my idea for land.

My idea for cabin...well...I'm my own worst client being an architect so...I've played around with the idea of nothing more than a 1000 sq. ft. (hell 800 would work!). I figure I could panalize the house and drive it over on a flatbed and over a short period of time have it done. I'd start with something very simple, and expand with how much we use the place. For instance if my family only uses it for a few days at a time no sense breaking the bank to have full modern day systems. So with that idea...I guess if there is a parcel off the grid and pretty remote then it could work.
  6. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
  7. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  8. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +128 / 0
    You might want to look into the area around the basin lakes. The area around Lenore, Lenice, Dry Falls would be a good area.

Some areas of pheasant, good quail populations, puts you near the Basin Flyway where tons of access and birds can be found. Also you are only a couple of hours from the Whitman Country area where we find a nice amount of pheasants. Also that area has a surprising amount of mule deer

The lakes that i mentioned are great lake fly fishing, but there are many more in the area that i havent mentioned that also pull nice numbers of fish to be had via fly rods
  9. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    she's got it right. some of the best bird hunting in the state and lots of good fishing.
  10. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    SE washington is very cool upland bird hunting, land is cheap, etc....but it's a long ways from here. where we go takes us 5.5 hours on a good day. i still love it and the drive doesn't phase me, but it may not be for everybody.
  11. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +413 / 0
    Not area specific, but a thought: Maybe you can find an ag parcel that's currently enrolled in CRP. A buddy of mine found one for a few months ago on the Snake (think it was somewhere's outside of Pomeroy) and the portion of the property enrolled in CRP earned enough to cover the payments. Unfortunately it was sold before he could pursue it.
  12. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    not that i'm a local expert, but in the last few years we have seen a lot of the farmlands around pomeroy being turned to the CRP program including the land we hunt on. wheat fields, now crp=many more birds, deer, etc enjoying all the good eats.
    the program requires some maintenance yearly that you'd have to have equipment for(fields need to be cut once a year i think...don't hold me to that, you have to plant it, etc. you could hire someone to do all of this through the local grain growers ass'n i'm sure) which would be an expense unless you happened to own a gigantic lawnmower and i believe that because it is federally funded, there is a requirement that says you have to allow a certain number of general public access to your land for recreational purposes yearly(based on the landowner where we hunt, an easy hurdle to get over...but there is definitely income to be made off of it and more importantly it's great for wildlife.
  13. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
  14. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    I hunt the basin a lot, in fact I just closed the season there this weekend, after hunting YTC on Saturday & Sunday. I've given this topic some idle thought, and although I really like the Okanagon, I would choose to live in Wenatchee or nearby communities. It's centrally located enough that it's a hop, skip & jump to my beloved Cascade high lakes, yet it's a short drive to the Okanagon to the north, and the basin & eventually Yakima, to the S/SW. A lot of it depends on the birds you hunt, too. Since I hunt primarily chukar, valley quail & huns, it's just about right where I would need to be, or very close, with Waterville, Palisades, etc., very close. I also fish the basin lakes a lot, and it's a short drive from there.
  15. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +413 / 0
  16. johnmetcalfe New Member

WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think at one time 715 users where on this site at once.....If we got them all to contribute money, it would only be around 2,700$ per person(practically free:p ) Hunting and fishing, could it get any better?
    Jm
  17. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.

You guys are on to something in all honesty! Hell if people can do fractional time share with boats that are anywhere from 50k - 500k then why not on a chunk of land!? This is better than a boat...no engine to replace, no shit to fix, maybe the occassion "no trespassing" sign, but man the possibilities!!!

Anyone GAME?:thumb:
  18. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Andrew, I'd suggest something like that if you knew the players for some time. Partnerships can ruin friendships real fast. I suppose if you drew up a good contract with all the useage issues mapped out it could work.

Let's see if anyone bites...:confused:
  19. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch