Upland opener reports?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Jonathan Walkenberg, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Jonathan Walkenberg Member

renton, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I went down to the GR and had a great time. Didnt see many birds but ended up with 4 chukars and 6 quail for the weekend. Plus a couple of steelhead.
    how'd everyone else do?
  2. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I was totally skunked. Didn't see a single bird. I hunted Pateros, Indian Dan Canyon, Central Ferry WA, and part of Chelan Butte on the way home. It was the worst opener I've ever had. Next weekend, though.......

Cliff
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    saw maybe 50 birds. very poor opener. not sure if i will hunt chukars again this year with the numbers being so low. very disapointing
  4. J.Butch New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Hey David,

I had a fun hunt on Saturday. Thanks for showing us around the hills!
  5. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I've got two blisters on each foot, sore quads, a dragging dog, and no birds to speak of. I did shoot a quail, but not proud to say that I could not locate it after searching quite a while for it.

Highlight...finally met up with D3smartie, who is half frick'n big horn sheep; which we saw! Spent 6-hours always playing catch up. BTW - David I've got your H20 bottle and OJ Simpson glove.

Tried to see if we could score a grouse on the way back home, but didn't see anything. Ironically we saw a covey of 20-30 qauil on the road, and came real close to stopping and asking for permission to hunt, however, our broken bodies won over our minds.
  6. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Cliff when you say Pateros do you mean the area off Bill Shaw? Jon and I debated this area, but couldn't find any info on it. If you don't mind sharing where you went shoot me an email!

Thanks,

Andrew
  7. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    That's right, Andrew. I concentrated on that unit early Saturday morning, after speaking with the area Bio. I'm sure there are birds up there, but I didn't see any. No big secret on the area. Here is the link: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/chelan/unit.php?searchby=unit&search=Pateros

I hunted just before Alamo Rd and again farther up the road. I don't know that I would drive all the way back to hunt it.

Cliff
  8. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    J & A - lets go do something a little less strenuous. That was a brutal day of hunting. I am feeling every step right now. ducks and quail in a month or so might be a good idea. Andrew- plan better!!!! ;)
  9. Jonathan Walkenberg Member

renton, wa
    for better hunting in that area up by Pateros wait until the snows fall. then it gets pretty good, but worked over as well.
  10. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Thanks Jonathan.
    Cliff
  11. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Snow always makes for better hunting. I'm concerned from all the reports that we had a weather affected hatch on top of a couple previous down years. Also, a WDFW employee I knew from the Grand Coolee area had the job of traping quail from towns in eastern WA and relocating them to good habitat. This program really helped the populations around Banks Lake, Pateros and even Othello where in the 80's there were no quail and now there are good populations. This program is no longer operating (I think) and maybe our quail populations need a shot in the arm. Rick
  12. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.

Rick, I started upland bird hunting around 1987 and one of the first places I hunted was the Watson Draw above Pateros. That area was rotten with quail. You always hear old farts saying this but it's true. Covey after covey, hundreds of birds. Maybe that was the result from your friend's trapping program. Whatever it was, I really miss those days.

Cliff
  13. mtbshark New Member

Bothell, Wa
    man i saw hundreds of birds i just dont shoot to well.
    buddy and i ended the weekend with 10 chukar and 2 huns.
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Don't give us a specific area, but what general area were you hunting in-your report is so different than what my hunting friends and these reports indicate. Rick
  15. mtbshark New Member

Bothell, Wa
    the Vantage area, and i would say that i saw at least double of what i saw this time last year.
  16. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Since last year was my first attempt at chukar or hunting for birds on the east side in general I personally can't tell if this was a good number year or not. What I will give my opinion on are the grouse numbers. I didn't see a single blue last year when I hunted for them, and heard many reports of a bad year from guys that put some serious time in the woods. This year I flushed 16 in one outing! I had a notion that it may be a good year for grouse since I saw many more during the turkey season opposed to last season.

As for quail and chukar...I saw them and shot at them; which is more than I can say I did last year. Season is definitely early...if anything it just means you have to be more of a hunter, less gatherer. :beer2:
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    We used to hunt the Whiskey Dick area before the wind generators went in. Quilomene Creek and that area is nice hunting, but easiest to access from boat or ATV, neither of which I have. Do they still have the locked gate at the back end of the Petrified Forest Park? That is a place where you have to love walking up and down hill! Rick
  18. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +169 / 0
    Went out a shot a limit of quail. The quail numbers around Ellensburg again seem to be good this year. I am seeing more huns this year too. Do not know if that is due to hunting a different area. The chukar numbers seem to be about the same as the past 2-3 years. Seem to seeing the same amount of grouse too. SOme areas appear to hold higher numbers than others.

I was hiking by the Petrified forest and the gate was locked last Spring. Will be hunting Quilomene this weekend. Will let you know.
  19. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    The Ranger Station at Wanapum State Park will give you the combination.
  20. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    ribka and Rick,

I will most likely be in the Quilomene this weekend also. Look for a blue & gray Dodge pu with a blue slide-in camper.

Cliff