Upper Chetco - unbelievable whitewater and excellent trout fishing

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Shapp, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

A few weeks ago we horse packed inflatable kayaks into the upper Chetco River in the Kalmiopsis wilderness of SW Oregon. Unbelievable 25 miles of non-stop whitewater and excellent trout fishing. For those that have the paddling skills and like to fish, this should be top on your list.
    A bunch of pics:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.432613366755349.123045.100000200686012&type=1&l=43a9cffeaf

A friend on the trip has a good start to writing up the trip tale:
    http://riverlog.blogspot.com/2012/06/wild-and-scenic-chetco-day-1.html
    http://riverlog.blogspot.com/2012/07/wild-and-scenic-chetco-day-2.html

Normally I am catch and release for trout, with such little angling pressure and hunger built up from non-stop adventure, a few cutthroat had to die! This place doesn't suck!

IMG_1843.JPG Chetco-6119645.jpg DSCF2282.JPG IMG_2342.JPG

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Fanfuckintastic! Wowzer, what a balls to the wall adventure. Beautiful river. Color me green with envy! Nice photographic record. Wish I had them skilz. The pictures of the inverted 'yaks floating in the river remind me of my likely fate should I attempt a float like this.

Sg

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Shapp, thanks for sharing, I'm with SG on this one! Amazing.

4. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

Fantastic!

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

A great reason to get some whitewater kayak skills

6. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Nice work Shapp

7. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

What an amazing trip!! I enjoyed it vicariously. It is not on my bucket list....
    Steve

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

9. Ed Call

Hey Shapp sir, that really looks like kayak water. What do you think about other solo craft? Perhaps like my Scadden Assault or a Watermaster?

10. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

no oar rigs, lots of the slots were just bairly wide enought for a kayak, other craft that could work, a packraft if you were a badass, hardshell whitewater kayaks at a bit higher water, you might be able to R2 paddle a puma or similar small raft at much higher water if you were a badass, but then it there would be a lot of IV+ and some V I bet.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Thanks. I figured that to be the case with so many narrow chutes. The emerald pools between the chutes look amazing.

12. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Awesome trip.... I really enjoyed your pictures, thanks for sharing.

13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Man o man - best post in a long long time. thanks for sharing your adventure. That does it! I'm getting an inflatable yak!

14. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

A few videos of the trip:
    My First look at the Chetco

The Magic Canyon just downstream of the putin

Brian exiting one of the first long Class IVs (he makes this move look easy cause he is a solid Class V paddler)

yuhina and Ron McNeal like this.
  15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

WOW... fantastic report!! Shapp.
    Thanks for sharing! I am very interested to try out those inflated kayak!! so cool!
    Mark