Upper Columbia Steelhead Season

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Cruik, Sep 27, 2013.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Maybe so but how about this scenario. One angler fishes dry flies exclusively while the other angler selects either bobbers and jigs, spoons or a center pin outfit. They all fish the same days and the same number of days during the season. The person who catches the most hatchery fish gets a fishing trip anywhere in the world, all expenses paid. What would you fish? ;)

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    depends on the day and run. I have seen days where dries are the most effective thing, period.

otherwise, the answer is always spoons.

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    That was my point but I didn't make it clear. You are fishing over the course of the entire season, from October to March. Sure there may be a few days here and there where the dry line may outfish anything else and maybe even the dry fly. I guess that is one thing great about the sport, we can chose our respective weapons.

While a good spoon angler will probably hook more, I think there are other methods that may have a better landing ratio or catch per unit effort so it might be closer with a "fish to hand" requirement.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    You fish the spoons and take a vacation to the Dean....to fish dries.

Go Sox,
    cds

plaegreid likes this.
  5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Anybody who "needs" to catch a steelhead shouldn't be fishing for them. Consequently the best way to fish for steelhead is with the method that delivers the greatest satisfaction to the angler. If there is a reasonable chance that a steelhead will rise to the surface, there is no way I'm pissin' away my late summer, early fall fishing opportunity fishing a deep sunk anything. It's fun hooking a steelhead on bait drifted along the stream bottom, but it ranks a one on the fun-o-meter compared to a ten hooking one on the surface, any day of the week. I don't have enough time left in this life to waste it fishing a method that I'm positive will work. I want to use a method that just might work.

Sg

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Wisdom for the ages.

Drink what you like.
    Read what you like.
    Eat what you like.
    Fish how you like.

Irafly likes this.
  7. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:

Or you could use a center pin with a fly :D

constructeur and Irafly like this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Media:
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot. The biggest problem with a gear rod and the way I fished was line control in the current, but then I watched you worked that center pin and my mind started going crazy with possibilities. Last night I just watched a show about guys using center pins on the Skeena system. Of course when you are able to helicopter into water like they were any method may have worked, and the water they were fishing was small so no real need for gear but still it was cool to watch. I really need to try it and I have a good feeling that I'm not going to leave it to chance this year to meet up with someone to give it a try. You center pinners be looking for a PM.

Ian Broadie likes this.
  9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hell, if you make a trip over at a time that I'm not planning on going, you can take mine along to try your ideas.

Irafly likes this.
  10. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:

You are more than welcome to give my back up center pin rig a try if you decide to go to the Methow this year or heck you can give it a try on a local river as well if you would like. I still regret not getting picture of that steelhead I landed when I was showing you the center pin last fall, she was a beaut.

11. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Media:
    A steelhead made that much better by calling your shot.
    Ian: "Well you see, watch how I can pause the action right here on this current seam as it bends around a structural break on the rivers bottom..."
    Ira: "Uh, your float just went down are you going to set the hook on that."

Just classically awesome!

Ian Broadie likes this.