Upper green river

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Karld123, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Karld123 New Member

Covington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yo guys, first post here on WFF. I fished the upper green river today just north of ravensdale. Went with 2 buddies of mine each of us caught and released at least 5 ten inch trout, and too many fingerlings to count. I had a good time out there for my first time fishing the river, and didnt find it too difficult to wade. I know this is a fly forum, but we all caught em on tiny panther martins. I just got my new fly rod in the mail today and will be hittin up the same section of the river with it ASAP. I am wondering though, what is the best dry fly or best overall fly for a 4 wt rod on the upper green. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated by this newb. Thanks

Kyle :beer2:

PS...my buddy said he saw a big ass steelhead that was at least 20lbs but was spooked as soon as he casted to it. how do you catch these bucks?
  2. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Try an elk hair caddis, parachute adams, and maybe some stimulators for the small trout.

Once I figgure out how to hook those damm steelhead, I'll let you know.

-I
  3. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    The Keani River Twitch might work for the steelhead, the trick is to put the line into the fishes mouth, then pull :beer1:
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    ak_powder_monkey

You might like to floss fish but that's not the way it is done down here in Washington. :rolleyes:

Jim
  5. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
  6. Dipsnort New Member

Auburn, WA
    I think "North" in this case means upstream. :)
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    ibn noted some good flies to try. Get a variety of the Elk Hair Caddis - various sizes and colors.

An another note - careful with all those smolt - chances are, the 'trout' you were catching were baby steelhead (even the 10 inchers) and the fingerlings could have been salmon. Wouldn't you prefer to allow them the best chance possible to grow up big and fat and really put a bend in your rod a few years from now? Sometimes you just can't help hook a few now and then - just handle them as little as possible, release them gently, and small barbless hooks (especially on those spinners) will help greatly.

Good luck and have fun. Dry fly fishing for trout is awesome :) Check out the cedar river and the forks of the snoqualmie as well. Always check the regs first...
  8. WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Fife, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    how to catch green river steel...?

well ive hooked into two green river metal mouths...one of them was on a baitcaster with 15 lb line and a blue fox spinner...it immediately ran down stream tearin line off my reel...then after a few full out of the water jumps my line snapped..and i was a very unhappy camper...

next time i was fly-fishing with my 5 wt rod and using a small royal coachman (works great for the smaller trout) when i hooked into a monster steelhead right on the surface...after a 45 minute fight and swimming out to get it untangled off the huge boulders...i landed it (35 inches long...and very fat)

from my experience green river steelhead fight harder than other steelhead... ive caught a few out of the cowlitz the skookumchuck..and the carbon river in the winter..but none of them pull with the same strength of the green river ones...plus with the ultra clear water its hard to get close enough with out spookin them
  9. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    Isn't the Cedar river closed already??? Only fished it once wanted to see what all the hooplah was about...
  10. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
    Yeah the Cedar closed on Aug. 31

I am just confused as to the location of where he was fishing because Ravensdale is quite a ways north of the Green.

Here is a map showing Ravensdale and the Green River. The Green is near Franklin and goes through the Hanging Gardens State Park.
    Map
  11. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    If you drive East or SE from Ravensdale there are places were you can access the green. I think he meant up river hence "north" by the hatchery and such. Great places to fish if you walk in :)
  12. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
    There are several hatcheries on the Green according to this site. Hatcheries
  13. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    (Kanaskat/Palmer State Park area) Drive down Kanaskat rd and do some exploring :thumb:
  14. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Did some Green River exploring this weekend but could not find Green River Gorge RD out of Black Diamond. Was the name changed or something?
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    Goose, the Green used to have a world class steelhead fishery. Grew up fishing it in fact, but mostly was on the Puyallup. You probably got ahold of one of the last big Nates in that river (or a big hatchery). Like on most rivers, a big fish will battle you good. But, pound for pound, I would say the big Nates on the coast are more known for tackle busting.

We used to love the Green. In fact, I went to college at GRCC, and was a bennie to going there. Fished alot in the mornings and after school. LOL. Some nice fish used to come out (was one of the top 5 rivers in the state for a long time there). I agree with chad, becareful on how you fish. Alot of those are future steelhead/salmon getting ready for their journey to the salt.
  16. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    ak powder monkey...what you suggested is illegal. In washington state attempting to snag fish is illegal regardless of where the fly ends up. if the fish doesnt take the fly voluntarily, it is snagging.
    -Tom
  17. Skoot_Kat_ Skoot Stuart R.

Covington, Washington
    Hey Guys, i used to fish the heck out of this river section out of Kanasket S.P.
    I caught over 300+ over the summer.
    I fished early morning and every evening except Sunday, all summer long six days a week.

I generally nymphed during the heat of day either on Zug-Bugs or Flashback pheasants or a Bead Headed Prince in the faster water and they all were great producers.

The best Drys for this river are Light Cahills, Parachute Adams and if things get slow, Irresistible s, iv`e also pulled up some respectable early mid-evening rainbow on a red Royal Coachman.
    Everything i fish is a #16 hook or smaller and off a X6 tippet material.
    I use a 9ft. 5-6 wt. rod.

I have a St. Croix that i paid allot of money for and a Browning i bought on closeout at G.I. Joe's for $50, it`s my mainstay and goes in my hand everywhere, i`ll fish it up against anything, it`s has a nice tight quick top end to it, that St. Croix is a nice sweet rod but it`s a bit splashy at the top end without much driving power for long casting.

There are two kinds of fish in this river, Huge and very small. The biggest rainbow iv`e ever pulled up is pushing 11" and that is it. It is a very sterile river without a huge insect population and allot of fast water through the stretches.
    The best fishing is like early 5a.m. or after 7p.m. in the summer evening.
    There are some good small honey holes in there though, you just need to work for them and get off the shore and into the water. When August comes it`s like bathtub water.

The thing that amazes me about this place is that it turns into the Amazon around nine-thirty p.m. with all the dense hatch, iv`e stopped fishing before and just sat on the boulders watching it all happen, it`s joy to watch the King Fishers strafe the water picking minnows off the surface and all the Brown Bats insect hunting. Ducks can also be a nuisance at times.
  18. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Jerry,

You pegged the BS meter! Coming from an angler of experience, that statement is nothing less than pure unadulterated bullshit. The only yardstick you could possibly be using to measure this difference is your imagination.

First, how big is "big?" 12 pounds and up? 15 pounds and up? Or?
    Second, what makes a "nate" more of a tackle buster than a hatchery fish of the same "big" size?
    Third, what kind of tackle are these "big" nates busting? Cheap ass stuff, medium quality tackle, or high quality tackle?
    Fourth, under what kind of environmental conditions is this tackle busting occuring that sets the coastal big nates apart from their Puget Sound or Columbia River tributary brethren?
    Fifth, what physiological attributes make a big coastal nate more of a tackle buster than a big nate from another river system?

Your sentence would read well in a cheap fishing rag where accuracy is held in low regard. I freely admit that the truth is much less exciting or even interesting to many. That could be one reason why I'm not a magazine writer. I mean no personal offense, but your statement couldn't go without comment.

Sincerely,

Sg
  19. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Just remember that the Green in it's entirety closed as of today, Feb. 1st.

Dave
  20. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Has anyone looked at how old this thread is?