Upper Kalama when and where?? winter steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sandspanker, Dec 4, 2010.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Been wanting to try the upper Kalama in the fly only water for winter steelhead. When and were is a good place to start the journey of 1000+ casts LOL. Thanks
  2. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

At Pritchards fly shop upriver a little ways, talk to Wayne He's usually there mornings. I'ts a great little river to fish and just to become familiar with. It doesn't seem that long and the fly only area is not up too far. I've never floated it but like to fish it where and when ever I can. Good luck Happy fishin!!
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,616 / 0
    It's been years now that WDFW only passes wild steelhead upstream of Kalama Falls. I doubt many wild winter runs go upstream of the falls, and those that do likely won't begin showing up until mid-February. A better place to begin the journey would be the lower river.

Sg
  4. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Just a little clarification, Steve is correct in regards to winter steelhead, but there have been plently of hatchery summer steelhead in the upper river for years now. They have been doing a study and are all supposed to be tagged, though there have been a lot of untagged fish up there over the last two years. The are still off limits to retention though.
  5. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    I've never understood the purpose of hatchery fish in the upper river. I've caught several over the years that had the "release me" tag. They were all caught in the winter, but were summer fish, as verified by Chris.
    My understanding is that hatchery genetics do nothing but degrade wild genetics. :confused:
  6. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    The reason we know this is because of the studies done on the Kalama :)
  7. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    OK that makes sense.
    I want to add that my interactions with Chris regarding tag #'s and other related fishery questions have always been pleasant and informative.
    I sure do love that river.
  8. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

I'm with you Dan I haven't been there that often but I do love that river. It has always seemed special , and not just for the fishing.
  9. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    I hear you Bob. It's a magical place. :thumb:
  10. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    there's no fish in that river at all! Not worth the drive down here! I heard the fishing's great on the Yak. If I were you I'd go there.
  11. tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Vancouver
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    He's right dude, plus haven't heard about the Sasquatch problem, check it out......
    http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7382
  12. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Okay the two of you, you find the fish and then bring me along and we won't catch any I still love that river and canyon.
  13. Jim Riggins Member

Battle Ground, Wa.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Hey Bob, are you getting antsey up there. Soon Steve's eye will be healed and we're on!