Upper Pennisula (Michigan) Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Sean Matthews, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Sean Matthews

Sean Matthews Member

Has anyone fished for steelhead, browns, or salmon in the UP. My parents just bought 140 acres there and they are within miles of several great rivers. Wondering if anyone has any good stories, tips, or advice to give me some clue as to what I am looking at in November of this year.

Cheers

2. Daniel Nelson

Daniel Nelson BAMF

I sent you a PM.

3. Builder

Builder Member

I went to school in Marquette a hundred years ago and my wife's family is old school UP Finns from Alston. Salmon and Steelie fishing is awesome as are the small lakes for bass and pike. Black Flies and Skeeters are ridiculous in the summer and were so thick I'd wear a full rainsuit and net over my head in 100 degree heat. Iv'e been gone for thirty years so I'd offer the advice to stop in the local shop. The fishing is just outstanding and access is everywhere.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

There's a very good fishing board that comes out of that area; I'll see if I can dig up the link for you.

fae

5. attack

attack Member

hey i dont fish the up much but heres a link to a guide up there www.riversnorth.net , fred might be talking about www.steelheadsite.com ...it has gone way downhill over the last few years but someone might help you out, people who do know the rivers up there are pretty tight lipped as most are small.the soo rapids in sault ste marie on the east end of the up is one of my all time favorite places to fish. you should be looking at mainly steelhead in november as well as some lake run browns in the lake michigan tribs

good luck

zack

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Right on Bro; totally a zero in my memory.

fae