Upper Sac, October 15th-ish

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by MountainTrout, Oct 28, 2010.

1. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Media:
    I was down in California visiting my folks a couple of weeks back, and my dad and I decided to make the 4 hour drive toward Redding and the Upper Sacramento. After a quick stop in The Fly Shop in Redding for some beta, we hit a few spots right off the highway around Dunsmuir. Since it was a weekday, we had the place to ourselves, and reeled in a number of healthy rainbows. The warm weather and wet wading was a nice change from chilly Washington waters!

View attachment 35492

The town was pretty quiet, but the October Caddis were out, so we fished until dark and netted a few more 24+ inchers on #6 caddis nymphs. By the time the sun sunk behind the mountains, the caddis were thick in the air, and the fish weren't hungry any more. We called it a night and got some burgers and beer at the local brewery.

View attachment 35493

The following day we fished and hiked up to Mossbrae Falls and caught a few more rainbows here and there. Fishing at the falls looked great, but turned out to be nothing more than casting practice.

View attachment 35494

In Dunsmuir the river is like a mountain stream, but just a few miles downriver it's 100+ yards across. Overall, it was a great trip with my dad, with plenty of fat rainbows in a hop-across stream.

2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I grew up fishing North Cal and the Upper Sac is an awesome river, I have a fishing trip planned for next Fall in the Shasta area and it's nice to see that the river is doing so well.

Thanks for the report.

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I'm pleased to see that the upper Sac has recovered so well from the big toxic chemical spill a number of years ago that killed off virtually all of the fish and lots of the inverts. I was there last about 7-8 years ago for the June golden stone hatch and had a blast, but didn't see anything over about 15-16 inches.
    Dick

4. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Great picture of the falls. Thanks for sharing.

5. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Those are PIGs for the upper Sac. Maybe lake-run fish, how far above the lake were you? Seriously, the upper Sac 'bows are typically not that size. Lower river is a different story. Nice work!

6. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Media:
    We were about 25 miles above the lake, literally in Dunsmuir. When we left on Saturday, the water was getting slapped pretty hard; we were surprised there were any fish larger than 15" in there!

And it was great to see how well all aquatic life has recovered after the total sterilization of the river in 1991 from the chemical spill. Plenty of bugs and plants in the water.

7. wildbuca

wildbuca Member

Although not typically, there are a good amount of 16 + fish in that upper river. late fall/early winter bwo hatch is a great time to target them.

8. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I won't disagree with you, just saying that one of the best guides up there, Craig Nielsen of Shasta Trout, would be impressed. as would my fly club board, 4 of whom just spent 4 days there on the private CalTrout property and fished with a local guide. One the the crew fishes 300 days a year. Their best was about 15". There are some biggies in there, just hard to get and MT's day was not typical. once again, well done!

9. wildbuca

wildbuca Member

I was not trying to discredit the day at all. Any day trout fishing is a good day. Catching 20 in+ is a spectacular day on any water. Just pointing out that 16+ are in there and are caught with some regularity.