Upper Wheeler report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Gary Thompson, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I walked into Upper Wheeler Sunday morning. 07-22-12
    Beautiful, caught a nice little trout on my first cast.
    I fished from the dike, casting into clean, clear blue green water that I could see into easily.
    If it wasn't for the dike I would call Upper Wheeler an alpine lake form the view of the ridge above the lake.
    I missed a few then caught another fat little RB about 10", missed a couple more bites and had one on briefly that looked maybe 14".
    From the dike you can fish 200 plus yard of shore line with little problems. By the end of the season there maybe much more shore line to fish from and mud to wade in.
    There were some kinda bait fish working the shore line and a couple of what looked like tiger trout working the bait fish.
    The walk in is kinda steep and there is a gate up toward the top of the hill.
    Packing in a float tube or tune might be easier with some kind of cart, canoe dolly etc. Remember ya have to get under the gate, no way around it. You can walk around, but just barely.
    I met a WDFW agent (LEO) on my walk out. He was a very nice man and I thanked him for being there.

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Gary, I hauled my WaterMaster in on a cart about a month ago. It feels like a long way up that hill! Got 10" cookie cutters and then as it started to get dark, some 12"ers. All RB except for one 12" EBT. I haven't been back as when I was pulling the cart backwards up the dike to the road, I fell backwards and landed on a baseball-sized rock on my tailbone. OUCH! I could barely walk for a couple of weeks so I never got back up there. It still hurts and is slowly getting better but I'm still sitting on a cushion.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Sorry to hear ya took a spill.
    Baseball size rocks everywhere up there and they are all sharp.
    Take care.