Upper Yak tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian White, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

I'm dying to fish moving water right now. Anyone have a guess on the Upper Yak (above Cle Elum River) for tomorrow? The flows look kinda questionable but I'd appreciate any guidance....
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +631 / 0
    I think you'll find some good water. I have it from a good source that there's been some nice mayfly hatches around 1:00 in the upper canyon. Tdub usually has a good handle on the conditions below the Teanaway.
  3. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    Same here Brian the Yak has been pointing and laughing at me the last few weeks. Is the upper Yak even Wadable? I may hit it sat if the color is workable.
  4. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    The flows look bad. Pretty big spike. Color will be an issue I think.
  5. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    A float from Ensign to Bullfrog could produce some green drake hatches about now! Usually pretty clear that high up! Rick
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  6. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Look over Google earth for the side channels. I have had luck in just about every one I've tried. They're not always easy to access, but it's possible if you look hard enough.
  7. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    The Yak was in good shape at Firemen's tonight at six. Late in the day there were mayflies - the wind was a'blowin and I couldn't catch one between 'at bats' by my Granddaughter at the ballpark.
  8. JayH Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    I was hoping to get out to the Yak tomorrow (Saturday) but only wade fish. Looks like the flow is a little high for that? Can anyone convince me otherwise? :)
  9. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    In the upper there are still plenty of place to wade. How far down river do you want to come?
  10. JayH Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Dunno, I've only ever fished down in the canyon. I'm still very new to the Yak. Any reccomendations on where to start?
  11. Dustin Toney New Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I might be floating this afternoon but wont be until 3 or so. I might have a seat open. Take turns on the oars and hopefully catch some fish!!!
    JayH likes this.
  12. JayH Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Thanks Dustin, I appreciate the offer. I've never handled a boat or oars before though so would be concerned I'd frustrate the expedition. I think I'm going to stay in and do some work on the house anyway. I know, I know, where ARE my priorities? Have fun!
  13. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    The upper river (even above the Teanaway) was barely to high to wade fish on Tuesday of last week. Attempting to cross the the "infamous" East Cle Elum launch resulted in me almost dying and loosing a net, water bottle, destroying a cell phone and almost loosing my GoPro. Be careful out there this time of year.
  14. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    I'm glad you're ok and you didn't loose more gear.

If you're talking about the "state" launch I've only crossed at low October flows. At that point you can carefully walk straight across right below the old unused ramp, but it can still be slick.
    Derek Young likes this.
  15. Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    FLoated the river on Friday and it was rocking ... don't think it was too wade friendly.
  16. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

I tried way upriver on Friday and Steve has it right - not wade friendly. A lot of water.
  17. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Thanks man, yeah I guess it was the State Launch. I've always called it "east Cle Elem" but it doesn't really matter. Normally the crossing isn't to hairy and the flows appeared similar to that I've crossed at before, it wasn't bad for the first half, but once I crossed the proverbial "point of no return" and knew a swim was happening. Not more then a second later I slipped and downriver I go. It took me almost to the bottom of the first pool before I could make it to shore. The current really rips through that stretch and doesn't always look like it. That was some real scary stuff thats for sure.
  18. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    I'm 5'7" and 145lbs. I get to the point of no return pretty quickly, a few cold water spills have given me a few scares too. I almost always use a staff, but need to remember to wear my self inflating pfd.
  19. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +173 / 0
    Official name of said boat launch: the state boat launch at East Cle Elum.

Your both right!
    Patrick Gould likes this.
  20. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Glad you made it out safely. The depth of the water isn't the problem, it's the velocity that will sweep you off your feet. I use a wading staff and a lot of caution.