Upper Yak tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian White, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Thanks Whitey! I realized my post sounded like I was correcting troutdopemajic, but I was just trying to make sure we were thinking of the same launch.

2. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Is Cle Elum's Fireman's park a good spot to wade? Do they allow you to fish there?

3. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I'd say it's a decent spot to wade, perhaps not my favorite, but since it has easy access and parking, it's often the one last stop I hit before jumping on the highway home. It's a common put-in/take-out spot as well, with an extremely unimproved boat launch area. Parking is free and easy, no access pass required.

There's several channels and islands that can be reached, although flows have to be reasonable to get to them safely. Even with high flows there's rip rap banks so you can at least walk and cast along the path that goes downstream quite a ways. I've always fished on the "park" side, but have wondered about access on the other (Cle Elum) side.

At Fireman's, I either catch a single big fish, or much more frequently get completely skunked.