upturned vs downturned eyes.....

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Nick Clayton, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Been tying some micro leeches on a size 12 1120 scud hooked with the down turned eye. I ran out of hooks and all I have left are 1150 hooks with up turned eye. How does the direction of the eye affect how the fly will ride, or in this case suspend. I'm not totally understanding the difference between the two hook designs. Any input?

2. I don't know, I'll be interested to follow this thread.

3. You're tying these to hang under an indicator? If so, the difference between up/down eye on a leech will likely make no difference, particularly if you use a loop knot so your bug hangs freely. The only drawback I see to an up eye hook for chironomids is if you like to put antron or whatever gill material sticking straight out over the eye, an up eye will end up in the middle of the gill while a down eye will be below it.

4. nothing says you can't tie the antron on the underside of the hook.

5. The voice of wisdom and experience . . .touche!

6. I was told upturned hook eyes help flys ride point UP while swinging. I dont think it matters much under a bobber.

7. Kind of what I was thinking, but then I also thought about the antron underneath. You could also solve this problem with a white bead.

Ira..

8. I would think upturned would help the fly ride point DOWN while swinging which is the orientation we expect the fly to be in I think. A jig hook is an extremely downturned eye and they ride point UP.

Upturned should leave a little more gape for hooking big fish with small hooks but the tippet is not quite as inline with the hook point so the hookset will take a little more force to bury the hook. How the fly suspends will probably not be affected much is my guess.

9. Thanks for the input. I went ahead and just used the upturned hooks when I ran out and I think they will work fine. I've looked at it every which way I can think of and since these are just micro leeches that I generally fish under an indicator I really don't think it would make much difference. (Of course, in the end these flies will be sent to you guys so you'll have to let me know if they worked lol)