URGENT, need help deciding Burkheimer spey rod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by liltanker32, Jun 13, 2013.

1. liltanker32 Member

vancouver washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    hey guys and gals,

I am having a really hard time decinding on which burkheimer spey rod to get. I am between the 7134 and the 8134.

I want this spey rod to be a summer and winter rod. I have read that some people say a 7134 would work as a year round soey and others say go with the 8134. im picking one tomorrow so I need help making up my mind.

I usually fish the deschutes, kalama, klickatat, grand rhonde, north umpqua and many other.
  2. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Did you get a recommendation from the guys in the shop? I have always found Kerry, Nate and Rob to be very helpful on choosing rods, and their recommendations for me at least have always been dead-on.
  3. liltanker32 Member

vancouver washington
    they said the 7134 may be a bit light for year round fishing, thats why im leaning to the 8134
  4. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    It really depends on you. If you are going to push the rod by fishing it to chums/kings/big BC steel, or fish really obnoxious tips & flies, then you should gear up for it. You should respect what the rod was designed to do. I have a 7134, and it's plenty for 95% of what I do, winter included, and still enjoyable with smaller steelhead.
  5. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    say 99% trevor!!!

fished big and small with the 7133 but agree whole heartily.....big ugly junk, get the bigger rod...
  6. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0
    7134-4 is a great rod for all purpose steelheading with a leaning towards summer run fishing
    the 8134-4 is a great all around steelhead rod leaning more towards winter runs

i choose the 7 because my winters are dedicated to erradicating chambers creek winter runs and for that the best rod has nothing to do with flies.
  7. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    Go with the 7134. Unless you are traveling to places allot with larger fish. For the PNW the 7134 is perfect
  8. liltanker32 Member

vancouver washington
    ended up going with the 8134 because i do go to bc allot to ski and want to start fishing while im up there. i think with the bigger fish up there i made a good choice. I will post some pics when I pic it up on monday. im gonna go start a dedicated burkheimer thread. thank you for all of the input guys
  9. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +674 / 0
    Buy one of each and support a great American company.
    rwbailey05 and Chris DeLeone like this.
  10. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    I'm relatively new to the spey game, and have only cast a handful of rods, but my Burkheimer 8134 is just awesome. I haven't even tapped into what it can do. So far my favorite line is a FF 45 7/8, it feels smooth as Hell, although this is also my first venture away from Skagits, so who knows.

I picked up my second Burkheimer this week, a mint/used 7127 from a forum member which is also an absolutely fantastic stick. It is so easy to cast its stupid. You won't be sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Sounds like you have a pleasant dilema.;)