USiA Waders....?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Prutsman, Apr 24, 2013.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Does anyone have experience with this Northwest company? I've heard their waders touted as the last you will ever need to buy. It seems they do a lot of work for the public sector which leads me to believe they don't suck....

https://usia.com/shop/division/recreation/

2. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    those things are supposed to be indestructible. i was real close to buying some but some of the add ons can really push the price up.

3. David Prutsman

Indestructible is what I need!

McNasty likes this.
  4. The Dude

The Dude Member

Those looks very nice. Heck they have a camo dry suit too.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  6. RustE

RustE drifting about

Nice to see decent looking boot-foot waders.

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    You also need to temper the claim versus your use. The will be indestructible, but are not breathable in any way shape or form. If you plan on heavy duty walk and wade work or long hot summer work, you may want to look elsewhere.

McNasty likes this.
  8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I did business with this company when I was in the diving industry, and know the owners, if it hasn't sold or something. I still have some of their products. Their pac cloth dry suits were quite good and innovative. Expect to pay a premium, as these are quality goods manufactured in the NW. I'm going to look into them.

9. David Prutsman

James,

Breathability is my single largest concern with these waders, especially here in Colorado where it gets hot!

10. sakuramasu

sakuramasu New Member

Does anyone have experience with this Northwest company? I've heard their waders touted as the last you will ever need to buy. It seems they do a lot of work for the public sector which leads me to believe they don't suck....

https://usia.com/shop/division/recreation/[/quote]

I was sick of burning through waders so I picked up a pair of these this winter.

On the plus side, they do seem to be indestructible.I don't have a ton of days on them yet (maybe 15-20), so it may be a little early to tell, but the material is burly and the workmanship seems good.

On the negative side they are NOT breathable. I knew this before buying and anticipated using them for cold water applications - winter steelhead primarily. What I failed to understand apparently was just how much I sweat even when it's cold! I will not be wearing these in summer conditions as I would end up wetter than with waders made from swiss cheese.

One other minor negative is that they lack many of the bells and whistles of the more seasoned manufacturers - hand warmer pocket, belt loops, elastic drawstring to tighten the top etc. Not a big deal at all but something you may want to be aware of.

Lastly, my wife thinks they are not particularly attractive. Doesn't bother me (or the fish as far as I can tell) but you'll look a little more PBR than Pinot Noir.

11. David Prutsman

Sakuramasu,

Thanks for the input; these waders sound impressive! There are times when I step out of my breathable waders and think I must have a new leak only to find out I sweat enough to saturate me feet and ankle areas. As much as I would love to have a pair of "indestructible" waders, I don't think these are going to be practical for me and my location :( Perhaps I will look into them again if I get more serious about duck and goose hunting this fall.

Cheers

12. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Member

I purchased a apir about a year ago. Indistructable, Yes. AS othersd have posted can get a bit hot on warm days. Cold days they are not the warmest either. No pockets or any other add ons that make them my favorite waders to use on most days. I usually wear them now when I head over to the salt water and its not cold. They take the salt very well with no issues.