Using a 9.9hp outboard in the sound/hood canal?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Peter Pancho, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Been offered an excellent deal on a 9.9 new Honda outboard for my 14' aluminum boat. Will this suffice two adults in the Sound or Hood Canal for casual fly fishing within 1-300' from the beach? Or should I save my ducks and get a solid 15hp motor? My boat is max rated to 15hp.

Thanks for the valuable advice! :thumb:

...sorry posted in wrong section. If anyone knows how to move it, feel free!

2. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

9.9hp will do fine id take the excellent deal on the motor if i were you.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    If the deal is good, you'll be good to go if it is a reliable motor.

4. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

i've got an 8 horse merc 2 stroke on my 17 foot alaskan smokercraft deep v and it carries two guys and gear at 10mph.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It'll do you fine. My Dad used to troll around all the time with our old hilaker with a 9.9. Never had a problem.

6. floatinghat

floatinghat Member

A lot of much larger boats using that or smaller for a kicker and getting around just fine. I would watch the weather a little closer with the 9.9 vs the 15 hp.

7. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    The weather and swift tides is the only things I'd be worried about. What would be considered a decent and not decent mph wind condition? I know today would be crazy to take a boat out..

8. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

if there is pretty big wind chop just take it safe and not go out. specially with your 14 footer we went out during lingcod season to blake island in my boat and it was pretty shady stuff! ha there was 4-5 foot wind chop and rain on top of the already rippin current that goes by blake island i was pretty scared but got back safe. just take it easy and keep your cool and use your head and it'll be all good

9. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    I have had two adults in my 12 ' duroboat with a 9.8 on hood canal many times, it should be plenty for you and you should be able to plane-out in no time.
    No luck needed, go gett'm.
    F.

10. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

You don't want to run that rig from GH over to Point Defiance in less than perfect weather and you'll need to be very careful in the Tacoma Narrows especially when the tide is running even in good weather. If you run across and it starts to blow, you'll be better off staying put than attempting to get back.

If you go over 10hp you have to register the boat and pay yearly fees.

I used a 12' car topper with a much smaller engine for years to fish off Alki, Point Defiance, and crab off Chuckanut and Samish Island, and it worked fine. You need to pick soft weather and stay close to shore.

The problem is there is a tendency to push the edge (maybe it's just me, but I doubt it) and it's also easy to overload a small boat. If you plan to navigate in the Tacoma Narrows use extreme caution. That is not the place for a small rig sometimes even close to shore. When the tide is running through that slot it is a fearsome force.

You are better off running a motor less than the maximum power rating for your boat staying well within the safe operating envelope, so the 9.9 should be a good fit.

11. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Solid advice.

12. Keep in mind that the Honda will be considerably heavier than a comprably 2 stroke of the same power. I don't know if I'd put a larger one on due to the even heavier weight and or stress on the transom. Just pick your days wisely, wear PFD's, and most of all, have fun.

13. Peter Pancho

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for all the "solid advice". You guys are awesome!