Using different colored hairs together

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Willie Bodger, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Is there a trick, or a good method for using multiple colors of hair in streamers? I thought about using my hair stacker and just putting different colors together in there, but haven't tried that yet. Is it better to just tie the different pieces in separately? Thanks for all of the great info from this board. Hopefully soon I'll have some actually useful info to post...

wb

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Ken Abrames in his book The Perfect Fish: Illusions in Fly Tying goes to great lengths explaining the use of different colors of bucktail in a fly. The use of various colors results in a much more realistic fly as the view in the water will create the appearance of blended colors. The book includes instructions on how to blend the bucktail. There are many good fly patterns in the book including flat wing streamers that are popular in the east for Striper fishing. There are a growning number of fly anglers who are using flat wings for bait fish in Puget Sound. There is also an interesting website. Good luck.

3. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:
    I mix hair colors a lot. Sometimes it's simply becuase I don't have the exact color that a recipe calls for in my inventory. So, I improvise & mix colors to get it close. Kinda' like mixing paint to get the right shade.
    Whether you actually mix the colors in a stacker or pinch one color in on top of another would depend mostly on what kind of fly & what kind of effect you're going for. Ever seen a Thunder Creek streamer? It has one color of hair on top & one color on the bottom. Baitfish...hell, all fish typically have "layers" of colors. Many fish are typically darker on the top, silvery in the middle, and whitish on the belly. This could easily justify the use of 3 different colors. Many fish have a dark, or a colored lateral line as well. This could be pinched in to simulate the real thing.
    There's plenty of fly patterns out there that have different colors of hair, but I haven't seen many that actually mix/blend colors. I just kinda' started the blending method for expediency's sake.