Using rubber imitations for flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Caveman, Mar 16, 2014.

1. What are the rules of using rubber imitaion flies for flyfishing. What are your thought on it.

Thx

Adam

2. well if it's got a big lead head and the rubber imitation fly is threaded on the hook..... it's a jig.

3. Just lash it on with heavy dumbbell eyes and call it a "flig"...problem solved.
    It helps if you dress 'er in a skirt too. ;)

Keith Hixson likes this.
  4. Wait. What exactly do you mean? Are you talking the full fledged rubber bodies like on a bass lure or some of the trolling trout lures? Or do you mean like rubber legs, or rubber components?

I actually have no qualm over using rubber components on a fly. Synthetic is a synthetic. I know many who use larva lace for bodies. Also they use tinsel, faux fur, etc on a hook.

5. I think he means the plastic/rubber lures that are painted and very closely resemble many bugs..

6. Go for it,they are no worse than beads

7. I have not seen the rubber replicas. That would be an interesting lure. I bet someone could get crazy close to a perfect looking fly with all of todays sciene and techonology.

Made in China?

8. In Oregon they wouldn't be legal in water designated as fly fishing only. Other than that I say have it. I've used rubber curly tail grub things off the jetty in a pinch, even caught some fish that day.

9. There are rubber imitations for Bee's and Grasshoppers. Go for it I say. As long as the barb is pinched it should work.

10. Boy, I remember using imitation rubber bugs/flies 40 yrs ago. They weren't very sophisticated compared to today's technology but they fooled the fish sometimes.

11. I'm fond of "steelhead scampi". scampi.jpg

Irafly likes this.
  12. I saw people using teeny little marabou jigs on fly rods for shad. Teeny as in ice fishing sized jigs.

13. There was a guy who makes small rubber replicas of damsel nymphs and ither numphs. They looked pretty real. Thought about using one on my flyline. Just wanted people opinions

14. I think I know who you are talking about. Are they tied on a jig? If so they look more like dragon fly nymphs, but they freaking work.

15. Speaking of rubber, just about a month ago I was shown a fly that was nothing more than a condom on a hook! It will appear in the May/June issue of NWFF magazine so keep your eyes peeled. Word was it works great!

16. Condom nymphs, fantastic!

Seriously, saw a pink pattern, like a chech nymph tied with condoms before. Those Euro's are creative....

17. Are they within regs for flyfishing only
    Lakes?

18. Read the regs.

19. Coneheads, beadheads, dumbbell heads are really jigs. They are effective. If you tie it on a regular jig hook, its a jig by regulation, I would assume. However, many of the selective fishing areas we fish a jig is legal. The official description of a fly for a fly fishing only areas.
    [ Fly: A lure on which thread, feathers, hackle, or yarn cover a minimum of half of the shank of
    the hook. Metallic colored tape, tinsel, mylar, or bead eyes may be used as an integral part of
    the design of the fly pattern.]