UV Cure Surfboard resin

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Bagman, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I don't know if any of you have used or are now using UV Cure epoxy. I was looking in to it myself and found a UV gel cure box for manicure on eBay that I picked if new for $20.00. Then I started looking for UV cure epoxy. To my supprize that stuff is very costly like $20 to $40 per oz. I did find some surfboard on line for $9.00 per half pint. Add in the shipping cost and it is still less then $3.00 per oz. I'm using it now to put heads and coat my stick on eyes on my Sand Lance flys sa well as coating the heads on my Clousers. If any one else wants to try out this system here is some advice from a old surfboard repair guy. Surf board resin comes in 3 different types, laminating, sanding, and gloss coat. Laminating resin never stops being sticky which you don't want. Gloss coat is very thin and will just run off your fly. The one you want is sanding resin, but you need to know that sanding resin has wax in it. Once the sanding resin has kicked off and the wax comes to the surface you can not get another coat to stick without sanding all of the wax. The good part is that the wax takes about 12 hrs to form on the surface. So all you need to do is dab a little on the fly and kick it off with your UV device. Repeat untel you get the head shaped like you want it. Then just leave it in the UV light for 3 or 4 mins. There is going to be an odor that is Styrene. Styrene is not good for you so don't breath too much of it. Just leave your flys out to outgass for a few days and it will go away. I hope this will help someone here as people here have helping me.
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    that sanding resin doesnt seem practical for small chironomid type flies if they need to be sanded.

bug bond, diamond hard, clear cure goo or solarez are 1 step applications that do not require sanding. a few seconds under the uv light and its cured. even better curing is under sunlight.
  3. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    You don't have to sand it unless you have waited for over 24 hrs and want to add more resin. If you finish the fly right away once the resin has kicked off your done. Just a lot cheaper the the UV epoxy.
  4. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Oh ya one more thing. The resin I'm using is made by Solarez.
  5. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Thanks for the tip Bag. The UV stuff in the little tubes is pretty spendy.
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I used to use Solarez to fix minor dings on my surf sticks. The local surfboard crafter and ding-repair guy uses solar cure polyester. He glasses new boards with it, too.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    Seems like a lot of work and expense for a fly you might lose on your first fish. I buy Devcon 5 minute epoxy from my local Ace Hardware. It's $4.95 for a 2 tube package. (One resin, the other hardner)I have tied in the neighborhood of 500 salt water flies, probably more, from 5.0 down to size 8 over the years and it works really great. It dries clear and you can mix enough for one fly or more. I try to keep it at 5 flies as it hardens quickly. After applying, I put it on a dryer so it doesn't sag. The heads look pretty good and at that price, I can tie somewhere between 50 and 100 flies, depending on the size, on a $5 bill.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I've used that Loon UV Knotsense to repair fly heads when out fishing.
    I need to get one of those drying wheels. Was thinking of making one out of an old small rock tumbler motor. Maybe with proper gearing, one could make a wheel powered by large rubber bands. Might have to wind it up a few times during the drying process.
  9. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    I thought about a drying wheel but could not come up with an easy way to make one. I was spoiled when I worked because I had all the tools at my hand. Now that I'm retired all I have is some hand tools. I really miss having a lathe and mill to use. While I was looking for UV epoxy I ran across a UV nail dryer so I bought it. I'm not suggesting any body change what there doing. I'm just saying UV cure Surfboard sanding resin is a cheaper way to go if you go UV.
  10. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    A question about the UV cured process.

I have never used it but have been interested in the application of the resins to flies. My question is, if you cure the resin with the UV light, does outdoor exposure to susnlight help or hinder the curing process or does it even affect it?
  11. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    sunlight will absolutely affect the curing of uv resins for the good. cures harder and no tackiness which occurs with the uv light curing. no need for an overcoat of sally hansens when cured in the sun. at least in my experience.
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA

Thanks for the information Norm. So what you are saying is that if you cure the resin with the light, and then take it outside the tackiness will disappear?

Now the only tough part is finding sunlight in Western Washington this time of year. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
  13. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Once the resin/epoxy cures completely the chemical reaction is over. In the case of the surfboard resin the Styrine has to flash off which takes a few hours. In the case of the surfboard resin the poly is a solid and the Styrine keeps it liquefied until the chemical reaction takes place. In Epoxy once it kicks it over for the most part. There may be a little more curing but very little.
  14. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    There are two different kinds of UV light. I think they are called long and short. Some lamps only put out one of them while the sun put out both. I good light put out both I believe and acts just like the sun. If you want to read about it more look up tanning booths.
  15. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    So, if I use the commercial stuff, I should put it out in the sun?

What about overcast, does that work too?
  16. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    I can speak for surfboard resin and sun burns/tans. The over cast does not block the UV. But it will take a little longer for it to kick. Down in SOCal you get your worst sun burns on an overcast day. The over cast blocks the heat but not the UV.
  17. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
  18. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    I tried a bunch of different UV cures over the past few years.
    Now I just use Loon Knot Sense. I have a nice small tube on my tying table ready to use that will do a number of flies. I use the CCG light to cure it. Put a coat of SH Hard as Nails on it and I'm done. No need to go outside to cure it. Fast and easy.
    It takes a beating on the beach without chipping.
  19. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    that has been MY EXPERIENCE. i initially cure with the light then a final cure in the sun, when its available.

if the sun is not available, then its a cure with the light followed buy a coat of sally hansen.

i dont speed tie so curing in the sun is no big deal. it only takes about 1/2 hour.
  20. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for setting me straight on this. My only problem will be finding enough sunlight here in the Pacific Northwet.

I guess I am not very observant, I just noticed that you are on the East coast. I hope you
    did not suffer any problems from the recent big storm that hit NY/NJ.