UV olive chironomid

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Josh Smestad, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I've been playing with UV Knot sense for fly tying lately, its great stuff. Easy to work with, just the right consistency and dries in an instant. I was needing some olive chiro's and decided to try it in place of a bead. What do you think? Size 20, olive thread with some ultra fine copper wire, body coated in 'hard as nails' and head dressed in UV Knot sense.

[IMG]
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,358 / 9
    That will bring them in. Could have used some of those yesterday man. I tried about twenty patterns, nothing biting. With all the activity I figured one dumb fish would make a mistake at the end of my line. Nice work!
  3. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Yep, thats why I tied em up. After hearing that's what they were biting yeserday I had DOH! moment when I realized I had none in olive...
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,358 / 9
    I had a few in olive and tried them just a little distance from the surface. I got some long looks and refusals. I thought that an olive to grey coloration seemed to look like the food I could see in the surface film. I also did not have anything to match those size 40 cream colored midges. Fish that large should eat MEAT!
  5. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Size 20 ??

I think you have some steady hands & a GREAT macro lens.

c/22
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,662 / 0
    Why do you bother to go fishing. Shit, you never catch anything.
  7. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Thanks, I don't really have steady hands or a great macro lens(it was a p&s) but I'm pretty good at doing what I can with what I got.