UV protection for pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by bennysbuddy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

WHATS THE NAME OF THE STUFF THAT YOU SPRAY ON PONTOON BOATS FOR UV PROTECTION & WHERE DO YOU BUY IT?

2. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

I wasn't aware of a UV spray for pontoons. Where did you hear about this?

3. mojo

mojo Member

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

As stated-303. It is what you need for the rubber roofs on RV's, tires on your rigs, all the plastic on the modern car, works on fly lines and just about everything else in today's plastic and vinyl world. Use it on all the rubber weatherstripping on your rigs and it will outlast the car, spray it on those pesky squeaks and they go away. Rafts, Watermasters-they all love this stuff. I bought a gallon of it from an RV store 17 years ago and still have almost a quart left.

Here's a tip you didn't ask for: To restore the tires on your rig to near new appearance spray them with Westley's Bleche White and brush them with a stiff brush and rinse. When dry apply 303 liberally and let it set overnight. It helps prevent UV checking on the tires and they sure look good too.

Ive

6. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

use it sparingly on your boat. Aire recommends you don't use it much as well. It can actually make it hard to patch your boat as certain types of glue don't work too well unless you use some MEK solvent (additional solvent application to the patch area, which is in addition to the solvent already built into most pvc adhesives) to get it the 303d off the patch area.

7. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Shapp, Are you double dog certain that MEK can be applied to boat fabric? That is some powerful stuff and I would want to know for certain it didn't react to the boat's skin before applying it. I can see using denatured alcohol to clean the patch area but would like to hear from a raft manufacturer about the use of MEK.

Ive

8. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

I am quadrupple dog certain. It is great for prepping areas on PVC boat fabric for patches. In fact the better adhesives for pvc raft patching have MEK in the adhesive. You want the MEK to react with the fabric, it takes off the gunk on the surface and makes the surface PVC more ready to be bonded to form a solvent weld, than a regular mechanical bond. You want to be carful with MEK, wear gloves, and be in a well ventilated area. You put some MEK on a clean white rag and wipe only in the area that you have outlined for the patch. Then you put on your adhesive on the boat area and on the patch, let dry to tacky, re-apply adhesive, let dry a little dryer than tacky, then hit the patch and boat area that have the 2 coats of adhessive with a quick wipe with the MEK rag, then stick together and roll out the bubbles (I use the back rounded side of a screwdriver handle). Let me tell you, that patch will be immediately stuck instantly, don’t put it down wrong cause it aint coming up easily. This will give a way bomber patch on PVC. Wait about 2 hours atleast before you pump up to soft pressure. I use Clifton 1 part PVC adhjesive or HH-66 adhesive, which is also a 1 part adjesive. Both of these adjesives have MEK in them. I don’t like stay-bond, too much trouble with the 2 part. I think I did my first unassitted patch on a regular whitewater PVC raft in about 1992. On another note, I ain’t no internet BS sprayer, if I give info, it is based on actual experience, not speculation. Again, this applies to PVC boat fabric. The family inflatable navy currenlty inclueds 1 aire 14' raft, 4 aire kayaks, 1 maxxon 12' cat, 1 maxxon 16' cat, 1 14' maxxon raft. we took the 4 kayaks down the North Fork John Day from Dale to Monument, got back this tuesday night. Caught quit a few small mouth below the MF JD concluence on gamdpa's old bamboo fly rod and a hopper.
    Happy boating
    J

9. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Home Page:
    Shapp's correct, MEK is actually recommended by many companies to clean in order to get a proper bond.

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Shapp, Thanks for the enlightenment on MEK, it sounds like it should be in my shop along with the multitude of other solvents.

Ive