V-bottom vs. Jon style for alum lake boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    Thanks to all who offered advice on my earlier "lake boat" thread. Here's a follow up question.

Is there a reason to look for a v-bottom vs a jon boat style when searching for a bargin 12 ft alum lake boat? It stands to reason that the jon style would float in less water. But am I going to care, or is it really just a case of "Buy whatever you come across at the price you want to pay."?
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    IMHO - Jon boats are great fishing craft. I would lean toward V bottoms if you intend to use it in larger or rougher water and where you may need to "run" longer distances under power. I have many fond memories of knocking around in an old Jon boat. Hard to beat for a no maintenance craft.
  3. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    V- boats can be a little wobbly.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I think you'll find that the v (semi-v) boat will track better - especially in some wind and chop. Should be a little smoother of a ride when maxing out the trolling motor or small outboard in choppy water.

But for all around small lake fishing - it's a toss up.
  5. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you like the idea of standing up to cast, the v-bottom is a wobbly one. i don't like mine for flyfishing. i would prefer to have a flat bottom, as i would assume this to be more stable, but i think the v-bottom would be a nicer ride if there were any chop on the water and i guess it tracks straighter.
    also bear in mind that standing up in these small boats is never the safest thing to do.
  6. estill Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    I picked up a semi-v from someone on the forums here. He had built a flat bottom for it using some plywood and what looks like 2x4's. (I just picked up a corner to see how the center was supported.) The whole thing is carpeted with astro turf and works very well.

I would cast my vote towards a v-bottom for the wind though. When the wind kicks up my semi-v doesn't track well.
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I fish standing in mine all the time (semi-v). Chris\Backyard actually stood on my front seat and fished as I slowly drove us around while standing on the bottom, with the trolling motor. Worked great. Wear a life vest or at least have floation devices handy...
  8. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    If you are still looking at mostly rowing around on Pass Lake, I'd go for a jon boat. My old one was a shallow V and they are wobbly. You're not going to worry too much about traveling around in wind, since Pass is just not that big. If you do go for a V or semi v then opt for one as wide as you can find to add stability. Most of the advantages of a v over a jon are not relevant for what you describe, rowing around on a small lake. When you put a motor on then the v is really a lot better. So if you plan to hit the salt at all definitely go for a deep v.
  9. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    Well for the most part, I think that I would use it at Pass lake. Streams are my goal for flyfishing. But Pass is just so close to my house, that is seems a shame to not take advantage of it.

And who knows, if I decide that lake fishing is wicked fun, I'll probably spring for a pontoon or tube.

Sounds like a Jon boat is the way to go for me. Now to find one in the $200 range.
  10. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    I have a 15ft Jon Boat and do a great deal of river fishing up in the northern rivers. I highly reccomend it's stability as a craft to stand up in. We run a short shaft 10 hr merc, ( a little underpowered) but it came w the boat and runs flawlessly. I got the trailer boat and motor for $2300 from Craiglist and have never regretted it.

Earl
  11. Sescatt New Member

Rainier, OR
    Hey all,

I am new to the post, but I have to chime in here. We just (as in three weeks ago) got our new boat which is an aluminum v-jon boat. It is a little bigger and heavier than what you are looking for, but I need to tell somebody how cool it is. It is a 16 footer. I had myself, wife and two kids out on it with tons of room and amazing stability. At one point I was sitting in the back of the boat moving into a pocket to fish, and my wife and the two kids (9 & 12) were standing on the bow of the boat together casting into the pocket. We had a 14ft v-bottom before and there is simply no comparison for stability. We can flycast three people out of it at one time. I expected stability but I was even more surprised about how well it handled the waves we hit on one windy day when we had it out. Sorry if this is long-winded, but I had to tell somebody.

Sean
  12. Rory McMahon Active Member

lynnwood
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    For small lakes, go with a jon boat. For bigger water where the wind can get going, go with the v bottom. The jon boats are more stable and easier to launch.