Vahjayjay Lake Report 12/13/2007

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by David Holmes, Jan 1, 2008.

1. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    My company is based in Seattle, but recently leased a floor in an office building in Factoria for future expansion. As I live in Snoqualmie, I quickly volunteered to work in this new office as it would chop an hour off of my compute every day. That's a savings of 15-20 hours of commuting per month!

Anyway, on the last day of the year we were technically open for business, but I was literally the only person in the Factoria office all day. I spent a good part of the morning looking out the window at the nice warm sunlight bathing the eastside and wondering what I was doing at work. Then the Cowgirl herself calls and says that the weather is so nice we should go fishing. That's all I needed to hear. I locked my screens and hit the road.

By 2:30 we had launched onto the lake -- there were only three other boats out there (down from twenty-three just a few weeks ago). The other anglers reported very slow fishing.

I noticed we were taking on some water so advised the cowgirl and our young cowpunch that we'd be limited to an our or two tops. We trolled black woolly buggers. As we rounded a point in the lake a fish swirled, probably taking a midge of which there were a few large specimens rising. I slowed our vessel and was rewarded a jaunty strike!

A dark, spawning male trout threw a few jumps and swam into my net. He was 20", 3 lbs and so dark that between him and me there was no reason to post a picture. :| He was released unharmed, mostly because we didn't bring anything in which to take him home.

We had to head in shortly after that as there was serious amounts of very cold water sloshing around in the boat. Aside from some wet gear, no harm was done though I definitely need to apply some Sikaflex or something before the next trip out.

That was the only time I'd been fishing in the last 6 weeks or so.
  2. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have never heard of vahjayjay lake? Is it right next to myanus??
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Great leaky boat report.
    You didn't said what kinda trout it was that was so dark.
  4. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    You fished Oprah's lake?
  5. Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

SeaTac, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    It's a chain of lakes. Taint Lake is in the middle.
  6. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    A jaunty strike, on Vahjayjay Lake,...taking on water?
    Darn, I gotta get out more!:hmmm:
  7. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas

Great. Now I have to get a new desk pad. I just spit my coffee all over it. Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
  8. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    If your gonna have any success on Vahjayjay lake you need to locate the little man in the canoe :cool:
  9. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Just be careful while fishing it while it is flipping. You'll never get the gunk out of your gear. And if you launch in the wrong lake, I'm sure the lake steward will let you know all about it right away...
  10. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    As I recall, that lake is located deep in the valley between parallel ridges, which run north/south. Just outside the ridges lay a deep forest, though at times, clear-cutting is evident (often in an artistic manner - such as the shape of a heart.) Those woods are said to at times hold some ugly critters, and if they do, you best not be near that lake. It's always best to fish that lake in a rubber boat. Sometimes it's better not to "catch" anything.....

Wayne
  11. A+Town Angler New Member

Anacortes, WA

lmfao thqts so funny! best thing ive read on the forums!