value

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by UptheCreek, Sep 29, 2009.

1. When you are looking at someone's box of flytying material and misc. stuff that he has for sale, what are the things of value? I am looking at this guy's stuff he has and he has a ton of hooks, capes, fur, tying tools, a cheap vise or 2, dubbing, pretty much everything and he doesn't have any idea what it is worth. I know hooks are worth some money but what about everything else?

2. Hooks are anywhere from $2-5 for 25 depending on maker
    Capes are anywhere from $14 to lots of money (depending on size and quality)
    Fur and hair tends to be $2-4 again depending on size
    Tools are $3-12 each depending on the tool
    A cheap vise is about $8
    Dubbing is about $1-3 depending on size

These are all approximate retail values I have seen. Quality of the items plays a huge role in the price.

3. I purchased 3 boxes of fly tying stuff that was from their grandfathers estate. I paid $40 for all of it. Took me 3 days to sort through it all. I have more colored feathers, saddle hackle and miabou thanI can ever emagine using. There were lots of feathers and some fur (enough moose patches to sew a hide). Lots of hooks (very good quality) some I will be able to use but lots of 24-28 midge hooks. I do not even fish those let alone tye them. Enough peacock and ostrich to make a flapper blush. There are a few files tied by what looks like well know tiers from quite a while ago. It was fun to go through it all, still do not know what some of material is. But the thing about purchasing a bunch of stuff is how much of it will you really use. If there is a lot you will never use then you would be better off just buying what you need when you need it. So in my opnion you need to get a very good deal to be worth the hassle.

4. There is a dyna king vise with it that might be worth something. It looks to be in great shape it is not a rotary or anything though.