Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by freestoneangler, Dec 2, 2012.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Just finished reading Rob Lyon's second part of his kayak fishing Vancouver Island in NWFF. Part 1 was the west side and part 2 the east side. These were great articles and that sure looks/sounds like a great way to explore the marine fishing environment. I don't currently own a kayak, but these reads sure have me thinking about it. If I interpreted the time line correctly, it sounded like these were multi-week trips just paddling, camping and fishing...nice. With retirement on the near horizon, I'm thinking a few weeks with the 5th wheel and my pontoon boat would be a good first start -- we've never fished VI in the 26 years here in WA.

Anyone on the forum spend any time fishing these areas by pontoon, kayak or just beach roaming during the August salmon runs? My other experiences with BC's Provincial Parks have been great -- does VI have good camping along the eastside?

Thanks
  2. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +264 / 0
    If you get a kayak, get a hobie fishing kayak. Ive borrowed one a few times now for kelp bed/lagoon fishing here in SO-CAL and they are awesome.
  3. Loren E Member

San Rafael, CA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey Freestone, glad you enjoyed the article. Rob is a great guy and I was stoked to have my photos published in his piece. August is a killer time to fish the island...the Qualicum Beach area out of Parksville is a great place to start with plenty of camping and decent access. You don't need a boat on the east side, only on the west side. It could be nice to have for sure when the fish are hanging out farther though! Cheers -Loren
  4. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I love that area. I spent a few summers up there cruising on my fathers boat.
    Desolation sound is awesome, so beautiful. Campbell river is fishy but crowded. The outside is epic (we circumnavigated th island once) and super productive. I remember surfing some sweet waves in an old wood and canvass klepper folboat on the fourth of july 20 years ago.

I took my skiff to saltspring last summer did okay but saw huge cutthroat jump right off the beach.
    I want to drag the skiff to telegraph cove next summer.

Everything is expensive up there so what you bring in your rig will help. You can only bring so much beer though

You will have a great time
    The photo is of saltspring
  5. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
  6. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Though the responses can sometimes take a while, flyfishbc.com is a forum that seems to be predominantly Vancouver Island based.
    flybc.ca is another one, but that one is a little more mainland focused...
  7. vanvgj1 Yak fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    You will like VI for sure no matter what you do. I've done some fishing from my kayak around Tofino in Clayoquot Sound and there are just so many places to fish you go crazy trying to decide - also what species. There's great Cutthroat and Salmon fishing both. Much of the west side and even some of the east side of the island have some nasty currents in the sounds and passes so you need to be careful. It's not for the inexperienced. I'd suggest trying the eastside first- anywhere south of Campbell River down to and including the Southern Gulf Islands to start. I'm going back to do some more of it myself as soon as I can. Have fun!
  8. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Hey Loren - love the picture of that brute Coho, very nice. It sounds like you have made the VI salmon run something of an annual pilgrimage. I assumed you lived on the island, but now see you live in CA...guess that's not really that far a slog. Thanks for the info on places to consider.
  9. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +765 / 0
    ive been dreaming of taking the trip in an expedition kayak since I saw the first article, little did I realize there would be a second to make me want to even more.
  10. Loren E Member

San Rafael, CA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am from CA but relocated to WA 4 years ago when I started college and am still in Seattle now....so it is not that far at all! Nile Creek Fly Shop is located close to some really good beaches and the owner is a damn good fisherman that will point you in the right direction as well... good luck up there if you go!