vehicle kills wolf on blewett pass

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by luv2fly2, Apr 28, 2013.

1. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Get back to 'roots video, check out the evidence at 1:39 mark, its the damn Canadian wolves!

2. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

[​IMG]

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

They were hunkered down in that car more like "gang wolves" than canuck wolves. No 'toques either.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Good news.
    The wolf wasn't killed after all. It crawled off and someone found it.
    After triage the wolf is resting comfortably and is expected to make a full recovery.
    What a great ending to another WFF wolf thread.

Wolf-8.jpg

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

They've killed two people in Alaska, last I read. I hope you don't think the anecdotes coming from Europe for the better part of the last two millenia are horse hockey!

6. Alex MacDonald

Damn Canadian wolves!!

7. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

You need to develop some sense of relative risk, rather than dwell on anecdotal hysteria. Nobody in Alaska, the Yukon Territory, or Northern BC....where I have spent considerable time....worries about wolves in the least. They take sensible precautions regarding bears, moose with calves, and driving the ALCAN mid-winter at -60 F (a much more serious prospect than any run-in with a wild canid). One would think they'd be warning us of the dire peril we face should we not stop the spread of these 'monsters' to the lower 48....but, in reality, they are shitting their pants laughing about what pantywaists we've become.

Do you really worry about wolves? The tales from Europe's middle ages? They spent a lot of time hunting witches, and worshipping saints' relics back then....which hardly contributes to their (or your) wolf threat credibility.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  8. Alex MacDonald

Don't go too far with that, Krusty; I taught medieval history at UC Davis for over 3 decades and have considerably more knowledge and insight on that than you, unless you're also a prof. emeritus in that area. No, I'm not concerned with wolves in the slightest, but if you believe it's "anecdotal hysteria", you're uninformed. you're also uninformed if you think people back then spent their time worshiping St. Vitus's pinky bone or wondering "how do you know she's a witch?".
    Your original post sounded like you felt wolves wouldn't take on a human if circumstances were right, and as they're apex predators, this clearly isn't the case. Please correct me if I misread this?

9. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I'm far more worried about the apex human predators in the 'hood' than about wolves I've personally encountered up close and personal in the Alaskan bush. Are professorial medieval history credentials from California relevant in this discussion? Go back to your dusty parchments, if you prefer the past's ignorance, and superstition.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm going to start worrying about wolves right after I pass little red riding hood walking on the trail.

11. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Wolfs??? You should be scared of Bigfoot!

12. Alex MacDonald

It's people like you who ignore where man has already gone, who are going to repeat the same stupidity over and over again. Your uneducated view only allows you to feel superior, and at the same time shows others your foolishness. You're the one who believes I'm spewing "anecdotal hysteria". If you don't believe the history of man's encounters with competitor species isn't relevant to how they'll deal with them today, your head's up your ass.
    So you've run into wolves in the bush; whoopie! So have I, along with griz and brown bears, and one tiger. Let me know if you've had an elapid slither across your knees while you waited in ambush, or had to deal with saltwater crocs in the Rung Sat "special zone" in the Mekong in Vietnam. I'm sorry you worry about the two-legged fuckups you encounter. Me-I'm the one they need to worry about, not the other way round. And yes, I've run into them too. Couple of years ago up on Mt. Home Road, two chipmunks were working to rip off my truck; Last I saw of them, they were running toward highway 97, naked. Funny how persuasive the business end of a precision rifle can be...

13. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I'm thinking somebody probably hasn't had their coffee yet (and ought to ease up a bit on the 'Soldier of Fortune' magazine purchases).

sopflyfisher likes this.
  14. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Wolves have killed wild game, livestock and domestic dogs within 5 miles of where I live. I typically spend ~ 10 weeks per year working and playing deep in the backcountry where I've seen and heard packs of wolves.

I've read the statistics. I know full well I'm much more likely to be killed by getting thrown from my horse than attacked by any wild animal. But then, I don't throw a saddle on wolves, grizzlies, or moose (the real human threat in the woods:) ).

I carry a pistol and I practice with it behind my house (I live rurally). I don't carry it because I have some sort of phobia of predators. I carry it for that very unlikely event. I carry it for the same reason I lock my truck doors when I'm in town, even though I know full well that if someone wants into my vehicle, they'll do it and the locked doors won't stop them. I carry it because dispatching a horse that's broken a leg and is in severe pain is much more humane with a handgun than trying to cut the throat of a 1200 lb paniced animal with a pocket knife or bashing it in the head with a rock. I carry it because I'm the cook and the one covered with bacon grease in bear country. I carry it for the same reason I carry fire insurance on my house -- I don't live with obsessive paranoid thoughts about my house burning down, I carry fire insurance for the unlikely event.

The real direct threat of wolves to humans isn't because they see humans as easy prey, it's because they don't see humans as a threat. The habituation of wolves is very similar to the grizzlies in Yellowstone NP - they are too used to humans and that poses the greatest threat of all. The behavior of grizzlies in Yellowstone NP is directly the opposite of the behavior I see from grizzlies in the backcountry.

We are all free to not buy insurance, not lock our doors, not get screened for colon cancer, and not carry a firearm. After all, statistically, those things are not likely going to be needed. And sure, you can easily declare -- this is different. But, I think it very unfair for those who choose to go through life unprotected in any or all of these ways, to deride those who choose to do so.

Trapper

15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I've lawfully concealed carry for many years, in the woods, and in town.......primarily due to potential human threat....it's 'insurance', plain and simple. While I have never known a single person who has been attacked by a wild animal (other than moose, if you count being charged or treed by one...or the grouse that once attacked my wife) I have known quite a few that have been attacked or killed by humans.

As for predator habituation to humans....it's not all that applicable to wolves. Wolves in the far north see humans all the time, humans seldom see them, because these highly intelligent animals know humans mean trouble. It's very similar to cougar- human interaction in the lower 48. They're there all the time, and stay hidden. There's been a handful of cougar attacks...but that doesn't mean they need to be eradicated...they're anomalies.

Wolves are slowly being removed from ESA protection...states are acquiring control rights, which means they aren't going to enjoy National Park-like protection status. Humans and wolves will adapt to each other's existence just fine.

16. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Wolfs kill people very occasionally, Bears have killed people, Moose have killed people, Cougars……. OK Cougars scare me. If I was a rancher losing livestock to the wolves I’d be out there shooting them but why all the hate toward wolf’s from people that don’t own cattle?

No – I’m not a “west side Liberal”

Krusty and sopflyfisher like this.
  17. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Righto. I'll get excited when "Wolf kills a vehicle on Blewett Pass!"

Steve Knapp likes this.
  18. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

YAWN!!!!

19. Alex MacDonald

I recall one of them at least as having some sort of physical problem. Can't argue with your logic on this; that's what wolves do, more or less-well, the 4-legged variety anyway:D

20. Alex MacDonald

Sorry to disappoint, but I did two tours with the teams, 67-70, at Nha Be and then Can Nam. First tour was what they call "operators" now, and the second was as a sniper (now you probably see why I hunt with a longbow). A couple of tours under your belt tends to weed out those who are "kinder & gentler". By the close of my second tour I had a serious girlfriend, and learned to appreciate air conditioning and decent food. I've never seen the magazine you mention, but don't bother reading them for the most part anyway. It's a lot easier humping a few textbooks than a 100lb ruck in 100 percent humidity and 100 degrees!:eek:

Porter likes this.