vertical jigging?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by luv2fly2, Apr 15, 2013.

1. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

saw some guys vertical jigging in 30 feet of water with chironomids. they were catching trout 3-6 pounds every 20 minutes, dont ask where. i want to learn how. what weight line, how much leader, shot drop or not, and one or 2 flies. i have a depth finder and anchor for the watermaster. i meant drop shot cuz i think that would help with the depth. thanks, mike w

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Mike, I think they were using a full sinking line and a short leader.

3. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i think you are right. how do they know when they are on the bottom? mike w

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If they don't have a depth finder they could first use a string or mono with a fairly heavy weight. It isn't as difficult as you'd think to find the bottom with a weight. Once they hit bottom, they can mark the string or mono. They retrieve the line and measure it. This gives them an idea of how much line they need to use to reach the bottom.

I don't know if this is what they are doing but it does work.

This is actually an ol' spinfishing trick.

Personally, I use my depth/fish finder ... I've gone hi-tech for determining depth:)

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    hemostat and measure the length of line out. Cast only that much out.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Heavy sinking head lines for steelhead work for this kind of fishing. I use an old teeny 400 grain line that has a dark colored 26 ft. sinking head. the running line is yellow so I know how much dark line I have out and where 26' is. - via 10 ft. leader - 9 ft. rod - running line at reel = 27 feet deep. running line at tip of rod 36 feet and so on. I also use this line for speed trolling - works great! I use it on 6 wt. rods when trout fishing and just lob it out - I never really cast it long, it serves it's purpose without casting.

Or just measure the distance between the reel and your first eye on the rod and count down pulls. 2,4,6,8

7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    It can be an effective method when they're deep, but I never cared for it. It reminded me too much of walleye fishing, sitting in my stepdads boat for hours on end just lifting the rod tip up and down

8. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

short or long leaders? one or two flies? mike w

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I have done this very thing by using 30 feet of t-12 sinktip material that any steelhead fly shop will have spools of in store.I connect this to mono running line Then I mark it every two feet with tying thread in a couple of different colors so I can keep track of the depth I'm fishing . It has provided fantastic fishing on my local lakes in the heat of summer.

10. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

trip, is that a tench by your name? it is boring except one guy caught 4 fish in 30 minutes and the smallest was over 20 inches. i bet he had fish on 25 of the 30 minutes, not too boring. i gotta figure it out. that is one thing about flyfishing you never know it all. i have been flyfishing since 1953 and bang here is a new way to fly. mike w

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've done it a few times with ok success.
    I talked to a guy years ago that really had this technique dialed in. He was using a type 7 and was fishing in 30 feet of water out of his pontoon boat. He would cast out and wait until his line had completely sunk.
    He would then stick his rod straight down in the water so it was vertical to the bottom.
    Only about a foot of his rod above the cork was out of the water. Doing this allowed him to achieve a perfectly vertical retrieve. He used a hand twist to retrieve his chironomid and was hooking up nearly every cast.
    This would be difficult to do out of a WM, but it gives you some ideas to consider.

12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    The hardest part of this technique is choosing your spot. Find the fish and the rest is easy. In my experience, if the fish are eating deep, they aren't that picky. Chironomids, leeches, generic nymphs, and damsels all work equally well. Get over the fish, anchor up, clip your hemos to your fly and lower to the bottom to measure your depth. With a fast sink line, cast just enough line out to reach bottom straight down from your rod tip. Let everything sink to vertical and give it another 30-60 seconds. If you don't have a fish on, make a hand twist to bring your bug up 6" or so. If you're in the right spot, you should be hooked up by now.

13. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

troutpocket has this down. Start a foot from the bottom and watch your bottom finder. When you see a school approach, start stripping so your fly passes through them. With a type 6 or faster, there's no need for any weight, but it helps to use a tungsten bead head.

14. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

As Brian Chan states use a DC full sink line using a short leader put weight on bottom fly find the bottom take three strips of line off the reel for 9ft rod approx 3ft ea strip I usually tighten the drag so there is no more line to release now I am ready to fish by casting out waiting until line is straight up and down slowly pulling up work the area in a circle my 2 ct

15. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I have seen this also, people jigging a fly like it was a Point Wilson Dart and fishing like they were targeting blackmouth in the sound. Crazy.

Jig the rod up several feet and then drop the tip back to the water. Let the fly sink back down vertical and jig again. Right?

Guys I saw doing this were also hooking A Lot of fish. I also wondered what patterns would you decide to impart this action to?

Maybe I will give it a go when Nobody is on the lake haha

16. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    You're right, that's a tench I caught in Rufus last summer. Most people wouldn't recognize it.

17. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Interesting thread. Has anyone used this method for Kokanee? And I also wonder what flies would work for them, fishing vertically and deep.

I caught a small one once in relatively shallow water, just under the surface, when casting for Coastal Cutts. It hit a yellow soft-hackle fly that was working well for the Cutts.

18. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    In Lk Sutherland I know a guy who catches Kokanee on a white Point wilson dart with a fire red tail section. Jigging. Maybe a minnow pattern?