Vertical presentation fishing for Cabezon heating up in MA9...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    Nice report and good catching!

Ira: looks like a Pacific Staghorn Sculpin to me and you seem to have hooked it right in the namesake. :)
    [IMG]
    Irafly, troutpocket and Nick Clayton like this.
  2. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Well, if you are going to target a sculpin, it would be a cabezon. Ira is an optimist!:)
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    Touche
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    The cool thing about our beaches is you never know what you might catch.
    Besides sculpin, I've caught starry flounder, sand dabs, small rock fish, crabs, diving birds, seagulls and a horse's tail on my backcast....LOL.
    Almost got a dogfish one time but it missed the fly at the beach.
    I did see a guy catch a huge cabezon off the beach using gear. That thing put up a hell of a fight and was quite a toad. I have a picture of it somewhere.
    Board member Troutrageous caught a kelp greening last year.
    We are really lucky to have the big salt pond in our backyard. Nice report Nick and Ira.
    SF
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    My favorite pink fishing beach has been loaded with big starry flounder this year. Caught some surprisingly large ones so far.
    Stonefish and Gregg Lundgren like this.
  6. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Perhaps the same type of fish? I looked up a couple of the big boys I caught this year, and they were Puget Sound Star Flounder. Instead of black and red alternating sections on the fins(Starry Flounder), they were distinct black and white sections. The body was salt and pepper, no brown(but I am aware some flatfish can change their coloring dependent on the bottom structure/color).
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Brian really hit the nail on the head for what makes this fishery so special to me. Last night I was out and caught sculpins, and a flounder, saw a pop of porpoises of some sort, and watched seals playing. This was the perfect was to unwind after work. Sometimes when I'm out there I just stop and think about the fact that I'm standing waist deep in the puget sound, casting a some fur and feathers into the great vast water, and actually catching fish. Not everyone in the world gets to do that.

Now... I can only imagine the excitement that would have erupted had Ira hooked into a flounder, or even better yet, a dog fish. People around us probably would have thought we won the lotto!
    Irafly likes this.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I have yet to get a flounder on that beach. Sculpins a plenty, but never flounder. I think they prefer slower water.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,050 / 1
    Can we target these in Florida? All "Sculpin" were safely hook in the mouth and returned with only minor puncture wounds from unbarbed hooks.
  10. Irafly Active Member

Well ok then because as all who know me would attest, I am an easily offended person. But now that you have liked my post all is forgiven. Now where can I find those real big "Cabezon" under and indicator?
  11. mbowers Active Member

Jupiter, FL / Victoria, BC
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    It's a long cast to the nearest "Pacific" Staghorn Sculpin from Florida. :) But we can certainly target saltwater catfish if you want to fail to impress your fellow fishermen with your species of choice. I actually don't mind hooking a few because they fight well, get up to 5+ lbs and will hit topwater poppers when in the right mood..
  12. Irafly Active Member

While fishing in Ascension Bay a year and a half ago the guides kept repeating Palometo es Palometo. It took me 5 days to convince them that they had it all wrong and their clients would be much better served and happy if instead they said Pescar es Pescar. My favorite day by far out of the 6 days of guiding came when we came across a bunch of snapper, little jacks and blue runners. Granted we also caught bones that day and I hooked into a nice snook and a cuda, but I love the action.
  13. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I fished the same beach a day after you and caught none of those "salmon" things. I did however slay the "cabezon" so I think I was succesful? I also got hooked in the neck by another person, so do I get extra points?
  14. Nick Clayton Active Member

Well we headed out again, this time in the boat, to perfect our cabezon identification skills. Ira will have to fill in the details, but I'll leave it with the fact that this damn things kept getting in the way, so it was difficult to get down to those cabezon....

Attached Files:

Irafly, troutpocket, flyfool and 2 others like this.
  15. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Holy crap Nick your casting arm must be worn out.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  16. Nick Clayton Active Member

Oh man, after getting the boat flushed, cleaned, and put away I am absolutely wrecked. I would give anything for a hot tub.
  17. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I believe the day we met I landed a Flounder. I don't believe the water speed has as much to do wit it as the speed of your strip, or the type of line your using. I seem to only catch them with a sinking type line and a slow strip.
  18. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Nice silvers!
  19. holtad Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    Great report!
  20. Irafly Active Member

Ahh, the silvers weren't in my way that much especially on the slack tide when I was fishing in toward the beach and the Sole/Flounder and the stag horns were hitting me every cast! My favorite had to be the flounder following the staggy that took my top fly when I dropped it back to him. Doubled up on flounder and sculpin, seriously nice! I landed 21 fish and only 4 of those were salmonoids. I don't care what the species snobs will say, that is fun fishing!