Very quiet lake for canoe camping trip?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Sharecropper, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sharecropper New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was planning to head down this weekend to Waldo Lake in the Oregon Cascades for a few days of camping. Then I learned that camping is no longer allowed on Rhododendron Island. (I last camped there in 1996: been a while.)

I'm now considering a trip here in Washington. Does anyone have any recommendations for a very quiet lake campground with canoe access? I'd prefer camping on a lake with motor restrictions.

If anyone here is familiar with Waldo, I'm looking for a place that's about that quiet. It would be fine with me if I didn't see or hear people for a few days. (I need some deep relaxation . . .)

If there are really stupid fish in the lake, that would make it that much more appealing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--Dan (Sharecropper)
  2. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Take a look at Ross Lake in the North Cascades. There are very, very few power boats since there is no road access and just a few boats from the resort at the south end (and a park ranger patrol boat). You would put in at Diablo Lake, paddle up to Ross Dam, and then arrange for the resort truck to get you up to Ross. A lot of solitude to be found up there.

I believe all the campgrounds around the lake may require reservations so be sure to check on that too.
  3. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Merrill doesn't allow gas motors, has a nice campground, and has a hex hatch. Pretty sure the timing is right for that hatch as well. Might call a SW WA shop to find out. I fished it and camped it last summer with my kid and we had a blast. Good luck.

Jason
  4. Sharecropper New Member

Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think that I'm going to try Merrill Lake. I haven't done much canoeing for a very long time, and I don't think that I'm up for the Diablo/Ross trip--at least not without doing some confidence-building canoeing first.
  5. CraigeRadke11 New Member

spokane
    Yes Merrill Lake sounds like the ideal place for what you want to do. Have fun!! If you decide to fish good luck!