Very Slow Deep Pools

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by cook, Aug 23, 2013.

1. cook Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hi all,

I found myself on a local river today throwing everything I had at beautifully large steelhead stacked up in a deep pool. You could see them swirling from above and rising for small flies. As someone new to steelheading, I mainly tried fishing them like trout with long leaders and size 14-16 caddis and stimulators (which was producing well for trout)--nothing. Question is, what are some approaches to this situation? Water seemed too slow to swing flies or dead drift anything subsurface and I'd love to take one of the surface. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    Try small skaters (like would fit on a US quarter), dry line, mono leader, flay in any color as long as its black.

Dry line, flouro leader (will sink well) and a small sparse fly like a spade or small nymph. If you get no love, try same rig, but with a conehead tequila sunrise stripped over the top of them.

Or bust out the crazy polarized glasses and fire up the Jim Teeny techniques :)

Good luck.
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  3. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +656 / 0
    Sounds like staging salmon(Chinook?) to me.

Pretty common to see them stacking up in the deeper/slower pools. If they are indeed Chinook the best thing maybe to leave them alone. If there are steelhead in the area the Chinook will push they out of the deeper water. If so concentrate your efforts on the top end of the pool on up into the riffle. In that shallow bouncy water a grease line approach with either a low water type fly just below the surface or a skated dry can be money.

curt
  4. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    pm sent, i had this same thing happen the other night, being only armed with a spey weapon i had to admit defeat
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,749 / 0
    Or perhaps large white fish. I have seen this in several rivers around. Stillaguamish comes to mind and also the Methow.
  6. cook Member

Seattle, WA
    Doubtful they're chinook unless they restarted their digestive system:) Thanks, this is already helpful.
  7. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    I regularly fish a run above a deep pool with rising steelhead in it. I prefer to wait for them to move up to me than try and get them in the frog water.

And recent studies have shown that a percentage of salmon maintain active digestive systems and still actively feed upon returning to fresh water.
  8. Evan Virnoche Guest

It does sound like nooky from where u were ar tho
  9. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
    There is no water too slow to get them with an indicator and nymph pattern. It can almost be like fishing a midge in still water at time. Keep trying different colors until one produces.

Just my experience.

Patrick
  10. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +656 / 0
    It has been my experience at least on the various "S" rivers that it is pretty rare to find summer steelhead rising to dry flies. The few times I have encountered such situations (always a single fish working in a run) it was a slam dunk to take the fish with any well presented dry (they were not very fussy about the pattern).

It is not uncommon to find the various salmon species as well as steelhead exhibiting surface activity though that activity is not associated with feeding. At this time of year it is common to see both pinks and Chinook splashing about.

Curt
  11. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
  12. cook Member

Seattle, WA
    I guess they were chinook--never knew they stayed in such good shape up in the tributaries. Fascinating and glad I had no takers
  13. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +582 / 0
    Would be cool to just sit back and watch them.
  14. Evan Virnoche Guest

And tug on it a bit eh
  15. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +582 / 0

You read my mind. Hell, feel like smashing my trunk just thinking about it.