Vfr - Puget Sound - Protecting The Resource We Love And Use

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Richard Torres, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I recently received a flyer from my county Public Works department discussing the importance of scooping up our pet waste and putting it in the garbage. I'm sure others on this site who have dogs or outdoor pets have also received this flyer.

Included was a very informative link (shown below) to a site containing information to how anyone can volunteer or participate into helping improve the quality of our waterways and additional links to other sites for more resources.

I hope this helps anyone out who is interested.

http://pugetsoundstartshere.org/
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
    Thanks for posting this Richard!!! Bob Triggs posted something or I heard him speak about this somewhere regarding beaches and dogs. Where are you Bob? Can you provide more info on this?
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Whenever we're walking our two Goldens, one leash has a little poop-bag carrier on it, and we always bag the poop. It's only common courtesy after all. Of course, the downside to cleaning up your hound's poopoo, is that kids no longer have a source of irritation to dump the stuff in a paper bag, light it, put it on the neighborhood "old guy's" front porch, ring the bell and run! We've all done that, right guys??...guys??:eek:
  4. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +830 / 0
    it seems to me that those who actually pick up after their dogs are in the minority.

the worst are those who pick it up in a bag and then leave the bag by the side of the trail. you've already done the hard part... you cannot walk with it to a garbage can?
  5. 2kayaker New Member

Sedro Wooley, Wa
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Just a side note on dog poop-- perhaps a bigger source of high nitrogen pollution is the surface run-off from our dog poop in our own yards. Please make the effort to research the best way to break this down - perhaps the old doogie dooley brand of mini septic bucket.
  6. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +686 / 0
    FYI One of the most immediate pollutants to hit Puget Sound regional waters during and after a rain storm is dog feces and related pathogens. There are a host of other contaminants to be sure. But Dog Feces topped the list. Picking it up, and bagging it, in paper not plastic, and depositing in solid waste would be best for now. In the future we may see "digesters" for this material in public places. On some of our small regional beaches on the Olympic Peninsula there are dozens of dogs using the beach daily, sometimes twice daily. It adds up to tonnage per year. And this does not include, rodents, raccoons, coyotes, bears, seagulls, etc every day too. And many of these beaches are clamming beaches.
    also www.watoxics.org
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Great topic Richard, thank you for posting, it is an important topic to consider for the health of wild fish. Below is a link with some startling numbers and maps that may be of interest to some.

http://pugetsound.org/policy/stormwater/outfalls