Vice....advice

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Seeking_silver, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Seeking_silver

Seeking_silver New Member

Just wondering what people think of the knock-off vices out there? I don't want to go spend $250 on a vice...but I need a new one since the one i have is just a starter vice that came with my kit. I have been checking some on on ebay and was wondering what people thought it they are worth it! Let me know!
    Also new to this site so if someone could help me with loading pics on here that would be super!
    :beer2:
    Rob

http://dbgoods.net/main/images/casRenzettiStyle1.jpg
    http://i21.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/fc/57/8f_1_b.JPG
    This one is a DanVise....any thoughts on them??http://i1.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/09/73/c2_1_b.JPG

2. Seeking_silver

There is also this Regal knock off--http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/67/66936/mark2inbox.jpg

3. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    I debated about buying a knockoff, too. I ended up deciding to be patient and shopping Ebay for the real thing. I finally ended up with a Renzetti Traveler for $90. I just didn't trust the craftmanship and durability of the knockoffs.

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

By the way it's vise, not vice. Vice is something else entirely and we all have 'em. Griffin has just introduced a new full rotary vise (and a very nice one): the Montana Mongoose at about $135. One of the best deals around is still the Peak rotary from Peak Engineering in Loveland, CO, the last I heard it was still around $120.

5. Seeking_silver

Thanks for the tips on spelling.....as well as the info on the griffen.. I will look on the net and see what I can find.

6. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Pssst, Preston,...I believe it's more than proper to use 'vice' and 'vise' when describing the tying implement with the same name, er, names. *g*

SS,

Most of the knock-off tying tools I've tried have been horrific. There are a number of entry level vices that range in price from $80 to $120. I truly believe you should be the very best tools you can afford.

Hywel

7. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    Hmmm. It looks like Hywel is right.

vise also vice ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vs)
    n.
    A clamping device, usually consisting of two jaws closed or opened by a screw or lever, used in carpentry or metalworking to hold a piece in position.

8. Seeking_silver

So now I am looking for some help on what people would recommend between the Renzetti Traveler...Griffin...or Regal...I like the look of the Renzetti..haven't seen much of the Griffin vises so your advice would be a help there, and I have seen the Regal but haven't heard much about which one is most peoples preference. Thanks for your help fellas!

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
  10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Think Peak

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I'd 2nd or third or 9th, or whatever the Peak vise, have heard many good things and no bad things to date.what for 140.00 bucks out the door? sumthin like that. :thumb:

12. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

You can buy cheap and get a good vise

I tied for several years with a knock-off of a knock-off, an Integra (non-true) rotary vise. I really liked that vise.

I thought it did a really good job of holding a hook ... and would highly recommend it if your budget was extremely strict ... hard to buy good feathers when there's no money left after buying a vise.

When I did decide to upgrade I was going to buy the Peak but after spending time with the NorVise I decided that was the way to go ... and I'm very happy with that decision.

Just say no to that vise.

I looked at one at the Orvis shop in Bellevue. While it looks good in a picture, in person it's all really cheesy plastic. Plus, I tried moving this, and moving that ... and it broke into two pieces in my hands ... and the shop guy didn't bat an eye or even seem all that surprised when I handed the two pieces to him ...

Rolland

13. Seeking_silver

So it sounds like Peak is the way to go...would you guys suggest the peak over the Renzetti Traveler?

14. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Yes I would. I think the quality of construction and materials is better on the Peak. Nothing wrong with the Traveler but Renzetti had to cut a lot of corners to hit their price point. In effect they started high, with the Presentation series (a great vise by the way) and worked their way down cutting materials and fabrication cost and quality until they hit their target price.
    I don't think that is how the Peak was developed and the difference shows.

My 2c
    TC

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    yup, If I was buying a new vise today it would be the Peak without hesitation.

16. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    I have tied on the Peak for the past year and have been very pleased with the quality. I had a problem with a broken jaw early on and they replaced it without a charge. The jaw has been upgraded since. Good quality, great price.

17. Adam O'Hair

Adam O'Hair Member

I have a Renz. Traveler and I love it. However, after looking over the Peak and reading some professional reviews it might be a better choice for the money. I don't think that you'll be displeased with either vise (or should I say vice? :rofl: ) Good luck with your search.
    -Adam

18. dude_1967

dude_1967 Chris

Nice reports.

I also have the Renzetti Traveler. It is very well designed and useful, however I have had to repair it twice. The first repair was the re-drilling and re-threading of the pivot screw on the hardened steel cam attatchment, the second was to replace the knob which broke from the rotation screw on the C-clamp. Luckily I have access to a machine shop in which it is possible to do rudimentary repairs on aluminum as well as hardened steel.

Nonetheless, the tying instrument (vice, vise or whatever) is still in action and very productive. I am looking for a bomber tool for the next one. However, I must be a heavy-handed clutz, so I think that most people will not have these kinds of problems with Renzetti.

Good luck.

Sincerely, Chris.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I have the Peak vise and am liking it. With my crummy way of tying flies it helps with turning the fly to see all sides and I am now getting into spinning on it now(I would explain what I mean by as spinning,but then I'd have to kill you).

Jim

20. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I, too have the Peak rotary vice. Love it. I bleeve they are made in Colorado somewhere.