Victoria BC 7/5/13 evening quickie plus line report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mbowers, Jul 5, 2013.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

First day back in Victoria and wanted to see if any chinook were around the kelp beds. Hit the water after dinner from 7:30 to 9pm. Couldn't find salmon but the Airflo Sixth Sense Sink7 line was awesome on the bottomfish. I was fishing 50ft of water with some rocky humps up to 25ft. I went 6 for 6 on just 6 casts with 3 lingcod, a quillback rockfish, a copper rockfish and a female kelp greenling chomping on a 2" purple over white Deceiver. IMHO if you haven't tried a drift sock and a low stretch fast sinking line you don't know what you're missing. :) I used to like to anchor up to the kelp but I'm loving the drift sock more..

That Airflo Sixth Sense line sinks like a downrigger ball and the strike detection is phenomenal. Setting hooks is also too easy with a low stretch core.. I just wish it were longer than 105ft because so much line is used up when mending down to 40ft but I think I'll try 15ft of T-20 or so as a head in front of the full sink line..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the shrimp antennae from her last meal still sticking out of her lips!
    [​IMG]

flyfool, Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Man I would love to make it up there to meet you. Let's see: "Honey, why not a trip to Victoria, we can ask you mom to watch the kids. Oh don't worry, I'll only be gone for a couple hours." It should work fine.

Maybe I'll have to wait for August. If you get the itch for a change of pace though, let me know and I'll take you out.

3. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

After fish 4 I was thinking this fishing is so good I bet Ira would be trying a large white chironomid with a 30ft leader about now.. :)

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Nah, a UV white dubbed macro leech under an indicator, ok maybe on my full sink. I will hit a snook in current under and indicator, I just know it.

5. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

Wow. Nice to know there's that kind of fishing there.

We went to Victoria on our honeymoon but otherwise it seems like a nice place. Kidding. We've been back several times since, always with visitors in tow, but never got around to fishing. Had tickets to fish on an excursion boat once out of Oak Bay or whatever it's called but the captain called in drunk or something and it never happened. A shame really, my old friend from Japan was really amped up to go...

Back when I had a sailboat I dreamed of sailing into the back door of Butchart Gardens on Saanitch inlet, dropping the wife and guests off to look at the flowers and go fishing, but that never happened either.

I need to get back there again. Thanks for reminding me with your post.

6. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Bottomfishing has continued to be outstanding over the past week. The Sixth Sense line is definitely to the key to getting down and staying in touch. Now if only some salmon would show up..