Video Clip of a Eumer Monster cone on a Bow River Bugger

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Norseman1, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

BC, Canada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Here is a clip of one of my favorite flies on my home waters.

It is a Bow River bugger with a Eumer Monster cone instead of the classic white deer hair muddler head.

The Eumer Monster cone causes the fly to swim side to side in a very seductive way, and makes the fly appear to be swimming. The disturbance on the water flowing over the wing and tail gives it all the action

Here is the link to the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Norseman1004

Enjoy.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,231 / 9
    Paul, nice looking fly and nice movement in the water...I was waiting for a video surprise, expecting to see that bow river bugger engulfed by a monster 'bow. Any chance there is a pattern recipe in print available for review? Thanks. Ed
  3. Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

BC, Canada
    Hi Ed.

Sure. Here is the pattern

Tail- Black marabou with two strands of electric blue flashabou, doubled over and locked in to make 4 strands
    Body. - Tie on a two piece plastic tube. Large black hook/junction tube lined with a small black plastic tube. Body is small olive chenile.
    Ribbing- Med copper wire as a counter rib
    Hackle- Palmered over the body, Grizzly saddle, counter ribbed by the copper wire.
    Collar.- Natural deer hair tied as a collar and with the tag ends clipped short ( the tag ends are covered by the Eumer Monster cone.)
    Cone- Eumer monster cone. White, Black or flourescent Orange. Use a med viscosity super glue on the thread wraps used to bind down the deer hair butts. About a BB sized drop will lock the thread and assist in locking on the cone. Leave about 2mm of liner tube exposed after placing the Monster cone in place. Then curl back the lip with a bic lighter.

Here is what the finished fly looks like.

Attached Files:

4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks Paul, the closeup shows so many different things that scream buggy and eat me. Thank you. Now I have some materials to gather for tomorrow's session of showing the kids a new fly pattern. They make me tie up a new pattern every time I'm home with them for the day. I don't have any of the cones, but I'll find some soon.
  5. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
    Nice fly. I know some big dollies that would find that irresistable.

Randy
  6. Brian James New Member

What is this: Eumer Monster cone?

Where can I get 'em? I searched online... to no avail.

Awesome fly - I love it. I bet fish do too.
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    http://www.greatlakesspeyshop.com/Eumer.html

Googled them yesterday and here is one location with a source. After your trip to Joann's or Michaels do you recall seeing any craft stuff that could be used with such a flared cone? There has to be some sort of washer that could be used for both weight and movement that would be cheaper than about a buck a cone.

If anyone has other sources, I'm all eyes!
  8. Brian James New Member

I'm looking at going to the hardware store tomorrow for solder (weight). I'll check it out then.
  9. Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

BC, Canada
    Here is a place to start.

http://www.hycreek.com/eumer.wcs

They do have dealers in Washington now, here is a list for you. Hope this helps.

The Fly Fisher
    > 5622 Pacific Ave Ste 9
    > Lacey WA 98503
    > 360 491 0181
    >
    >
    > Waters West Inc
    > 140 W Front St
    > Port Angeles WA 98362
    > 360 417 0937
    >
    > River City Fly Shop
    > 11429 SW Scholis Ferry Rd
    > Beaverton OR 97008
    > 503 579 5176
    >
    > The Caddis Fly
    > 168 West 6th
    > Eugene OR 97401
    > 541 342 7005
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Thanks Paul. I'll look there. This fly tying business is costly!
  11. Brian James New Member

Yes, thanks Paul.

It is Ed, however it's cheaper than buying 'em all the time.

I'm trying to learn this weaving technique - it's a little frustrating but challenging.
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    I just tied up some homegrown versions of bugger/streamers on some tubes and placed a tiny washer that I had for another craft project. I'm sure my version will suck compared to the real thing, but I was bored, everyone else was sleeping and I still had beer to drink. If I can find that darn camera I'll take some photos, this was my first crack at tube flies. Gotta love that nor-vise. (thanks fdc)
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    8.95 for a pack of 10!?!?
  14. Brian James New Member

No shit. I tried going to Ace and seeing if there was something comparable - no joy. Thinking about trying a bigger hardware store...
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    WoZ, check my post on my first try at tube flies...size 6 washers with a neat shape, maybe they will work, maybe not, but they were available in my hardware pile. I'll keep looking for something similar before biting the 8.95/10 bullet, but that swimming action makes me say here fishy fishy.
  16. Brian James New Member

That was my thought exactly, perfect trolling fly. Not that I would ever stoop so low as to troll with a fly rod! *scoff*

I found some great looking washers that I might try changing the shape on to see if I can give it some similar action... I think it could be possible.
  17. Zach M Because I floss so hard

Gig Harbor Washington
    god that looks like it would take a while. id be pissed if i lost them haha
  18. jkold Member

Bellingham, WA
    Tried this tie with a "finish" washer and conehead. No tube here - tied on a #6 wet hook. Just a quick experiment... haven't tried it in a flow as it just came off the vise.

Attached Files:

19. Brian James New Member

Let us know!! I saw washers like that, they look like they could work. Same type of structure as the other 'Monster' cone. Prolly not cheaper by the time you buy the cones and the washers.
  20. Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

BC, Canada
    How is the washer fastened to the conehead?

Try putting the washer behind the conehead and you may get a better water flow over the wing and tail....I think you're on the right track, just needs fine tuning.