Video Editing Software

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by jumbo215, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    So I picked up my go pro 2 hero and I've got some great vids already but I'm now looking to start editing some some down to more action videos. Anyone have any recomdatiton for super user friendly software? Thanks
  2. Nate Buchanan Member

out there
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    final cut pro or iMovie for mac depending on what level you are trying to achieve with your edits
  3. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I agree with Nate
  4. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    iMovie is inuitive and you can just click your way through it and figure it out
    Final cut requires outside education or some editing software experience (beyond iMovie)

and this has some good points
  5. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    So the general conses is I need an Apple computer and get the imovie, sounds like my free go pro just got expensive! Thanks for the advice I guess now I know what the tax refund if going too.
  6. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    I don't think that is what they are saying at all unless you want to use that as an excuse to go out and by yourself a Mac. I use windows and can edit fine video. It's all in how to use what you have or can get for your operating system. Do a little research to find what works for you. Also, give the forum member a little time to chime in.
  7. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
  8. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    I understand that there's fine options with a windows machine.

I think what you see here is that a lot of guys who are into graphics, video, photography have been on a mac platform since the days when the PC's just didn't cut it for this work....things are a bit different now. Or at least I assume as I've never really used anything else.

also my specific point was that serious software like finalcut is a great tool but it's not the sort of thing you just boot up and figure out; more consumer oriented software like iMovie (and what ever else) is designed to just follow you mouse around and figure out how things work.

And BTW I was just chatting with one of the hottest video production owners in the city today and he had a copy of Stockman's book on the table. There's some very good info in that book and it's written for any of us.
  9. isaacfab Member

West Point, NY
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I use camtasia at work. It has a bunch of extra features when you want to do things beyond simple editing. I think it's about three hundred bucks...
  10. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    Have you tried using Windows Movie Maker or whatever the free Windows software is? For basic editing it should be find. I'd say try it out first. If you feel like you need more control over the editing process, maybe pick up a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements. It's a scaled back version of their professional level editing software and it's under $200 I think.

Doesn't the software that comes with the gopro cameras have editing capabilities?
  11. (BigDave) Member

Fairwood
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    After getting a Gopro for xmas, I found it was more of a problem having to get a new computer with more horsepower. Make sure your machine has enough backbone to function with your software choice. Maybe with my tax refund...
  12. funfisher Fish On!

Suquamish, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 1
    If you have enough hard drive space, Windows Live Movie Maker is the best free software going. It takes a while to get the hang of it and Microsoft does not offer a lot of support but I have put together some super nice videos with it. It lets you do all kinds of differents fades and wipes and also lets you to add music, titles and still photos. Also, a great website for free music tracks is freeplaymusic.com. Try Movie Maker before you spend any money on Macs or expensive software.
  13. djabu New Member

Finland
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 is also good software. And if you have 64bit win7, so I would higly recommend Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 , and if you have 32bit, then CS4 is best you can buy..