video - Megabyte

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Hans Weilenmann, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Ratings: +347 / 0
    [IMG]

Megabyte
    Hook: Grip 14723BL #12
    Thread: Sparton 6/0, black
    Abdomen: Tying thread - flat
    Rib: Tying thread - corded
    Wing: Hackle barbs, white or cream
    Thorax/collar: Seal's fur - black, claret, red - mixed 2:1:1

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

Cheers,
    Hans W
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    Holy cow! That's a wild looking sucker! Talk about a bad hair day :)
  3. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
    Very nice! I've never used seals fur. Is it soft or stiff or somewhere in the middle?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    It is not soft in the least. The stuff is wiry and slippery. Difficult to tie with but has a great sheen. We can't buy genuine seal fur in the US. I have some that I purchased before it became illegal to sell but I don't use it very often.
  5. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I notice you use GRIP hooks
    Are they from around here? I've not seen them
  6. Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Ratings: +347 / 0
    Jamie,

Grip hooks are distributed out of South Africa. Web site here http://www.scientificfly.com/

A very similar hook to the Grip 14723BL is the Tiemco 206BL.

Cheers,
    Hans W
  7. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Thanks
    I like the look of them
  8. Bert Registered Potamophile

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I said you couldn't sell it in the US. You didn't buy it in the US, you bought it in the UK. Now, if it is legal for them to send to you in the US... I have no clue. I have no clue if the feds can nab you for owning the material.

But you can be sure, if it was legal to sell here, the shops would stock it.

Same goes for polar bear fur. You can buy it in Canada.. at least you could at one time, I'm not sure if you still can. However, I'm not so positive it is legal for you to sneak it over the border.

Spey feathers from a blue heron... same deal.

If black Suburbans pull up in front of your house, or you hear a drone overhead, grab your fly tying materials and run!
    Thomas Williams likes this.
  10. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +466 / 0
    Most sites that cater to atlantic salmon tiers have seal fur in any color you like and they are in the US. I know, not that many years ago it was banned as was polar bear, of course it still is as is heron. I'm glad I bought a nice big patch of polar bear when I was in Canada last and a lot of seal, as well as a beautiful jungle cock cape. I remember thinking I was going to caught sneaking it (seal) back across the border.... I guess I got lucky... Don't tell anyone.

Han's thats a very interesting pattern....I think I like it!! I've used the 206BL's for a few years, mostly for floating emergers in smaller sizes and think they are a cool looking hook very similar to the Grip.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Well okay then. If sites are selling seal fur, I stand corrected. Obviously they lifted the ban and no one sent me a memo.