Video of the Bob Marshall Wilderness

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper Badovinac, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    It's a 2400 sq mi wilderness in Montana. This video is shot very close to where I have spent many, many, weeks the past few years. I've fished where this one guy is fishing. I've been to this USFS Ranger cabin, and I can see the Jumbo lookout from my cook tent.

Trapper
  2. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +439 / 0
    I spent a good amount of my "single life" in the mountains just across the valley - the Mission mountains (REZ side).

Every time we peaked a mountain, we'd gaze over and look at the Marshall wilderness. It can be breath taking...
  3. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    Wow! What a special treat. Thanks!!
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,731 / 0
    Only a Red Neck wears socks with sandal's. Nice pictures by the way.
    chewydog likes this.
  5. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    My wife grew up in the Flathead Valley.... I'm still mad that when we got married we moved to SW Washington instead of back there.

Great video, Thanks.
  6. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    I went into the Bob last summer, and I'm going back this year. Incredible country and great fishing.
  7. Mark Kulikov Active Member

Polson Montana
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Great vid. We took a small plane from Polson over the missions early last season and dropped into Schafer Meadows for a short visit with the rangers. Later this year (once the the pass opens) were taking the horses/mules back to Schafer and further into the Bob for a couple weeks of fishing. Awesome country for sure.
  8. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +249 / 0
    Beautifful, and timely, I'm planning my first MT trip this year, Thanks for sharing.
  9. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 8
    Love it! Some people dream of tarpon, bones, sand and flats......but just about my one and only bucket list trip is a pack into the Bob. Part of it is because I have read too many Louis Lamour books and I always secretly wanted to be a wandering cowboy, but just about everything in that video also explains why..... scenery, wildlife, ruggedness, scenery, streams, meadows, crystal clear water, scenery, campfires, bears, moose, deer, mountains.......everything that video showed!
    Thanks for sharing Trapper!
    Eric Denny likes this.
  10. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    The Bob is not the easiest place to get into, but that's part of it's charm. No cars, no people chatting on their iCrap, etc.

[IMG]

To do a "bucket list" float/camp trip either requires a lot of work, horses, and pack stock, or you pay someone to do it.

[IMG]

My raft is on the middle mule, oars and pack frame on the first one.

[IMG]

[IMG]

You would be wise to do your homework before you go. I've seen and heard many horror stories. I know two good friends who did this float 10 years ago and they haven't talked to each other since.

[IMG]

But, yes, it's a great place and even with all the fires in the past 15 years, it's still very beautiful.

Trapper
  11. J Wood Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have a buddy who floated that Caynon in a water master and lived to tell the tale. Was only 16 at the time and due to bad communication missed the take out. Lucky it turned out ok for him. Grew up going camping up at spotted bear. Didn't know how good I had it. Cutties and Bull trout...can't beat the fishing and scenery!
  12. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    A friend of mine is organizing a possible trip to the Bob for 2015.
    he is not a fisherman, he's an avid hiker and backpacker. For this he wants to hire a packer with mules to carry the gear, while he walks. (we are all getting older)
    I am a former backpacker, eager to hike, and a current fly fisherman.

Is a trip focused on fishing mutually exclusive to a trip focused on hiking higher country? Or are there routes where the two go together well?

Suggestions?

Jay
  13. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    I've never backpacked in The Bob, so my feedback will be limited.

I have seen plenty of scenarios where groups have chosen to hike while the outfitter packed their gear in on mules. Sometimes one or two people in the group choose to ride horses instead of hiking. When everyone is in camp, the results and comments are often mixed from "Wow, what a great 16 mile hike." to "OMG, that was hell!"

From what I've observed there's normally one or two in the group who don't like horses and who truly love to hike. They are in shape for it and they do it all the time. There's another group who THINK they are in good shape but after several miles at altitude, they are puking their guts out along the trail. I've yet to hear those who chose to ride say "Wow, what a miserable ride I had. I wish I'd hiked in with you folks."

As to hiking trails vs fishing, I'd say yes, there are many places where one group could go for a day hike and the other could fish. But often the hikers are looking for higher ground to see the vast vistas and the anglers are looking for the valleys.

There is a Falcon Guide called Hiking Montana's Bob Marshall Wilderness. I don't have a copy of it but those Falcon Guides are generally very useful.

Trapper
    jwg likes this.
  14. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I have been to the Bob 2 times it was nothing short of Nirvana for me.
    My brother and myself and his 3 sons backpacked in about 3 miles
    Set up a camp and day hiked from there it was fantastic. Both trips in August .The first trip in late august and we had a snow shorted trip.
    Kelly Michelsen
  15. WLLLC New Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    For fly fishing in the wilderness, I've been hiking in for 15 years, the last decade with an ultralight float tube. Initially used Wood River SummerBreeze and Swiftrider, but have switched to Backpacker Pro from Wilderness Lite when the Wood River Company went out of business. Routinely pack in with groups of 3 to 8 for distances of 10 to 30 miles from the trail head. Can't beat a float tube on a pristine mountain lake in the wilderness which has likely NEVER had a tube on it. Backpacker Pro is available through: www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com
  16. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    It's ok to post without plugging your product. :rolleyes:
  17. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Thanks for sharing.
  18. WLLLC New Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    Two Bob Marshall questions, please.

What is the bear situation, and specifically grizzly?

Most trips into the Bob seem to be pack trips on horses. Are there any trails of reasonable length for hiking--like Kelly cited earlier--but to an area with several alpine lakes in proximity to a base camp?

My preferred approach is to hike in, establish base camp at a fishable lake, then take several day hikes to fish other lakes within a couple hour walk of base camp.

Also, love horses, and have considered the drop camp routine in the past but have found it quite expensive, limited by the distance the outfitter would haul my gear, and truthfully, concerned by the wear and tear horses have on the trails and at camp.
  19. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    For some decent bear advice, read this recent thread.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/ynp-bears.96890/

It's about Yellowstone NP bears, but the advice is good.

Bears in The Bob are not habituated. But, if you camp in a site with a fire ring, you know others have been where you are and you will likely never know what sort of bear bait they left that you can't see or smell.

Keep a clean camp. The bears are attracted to food and have an aversion to humans. But, if they smell an opportunity for easy chow, their stomachs will sometimes trump their dislike for humans.

I posted this:
    I don't know of any place in The Bob where there are several alpine lakes bunched together. Maybe two or three lakes within 6 miles of each other, but that's about it. I'm not sure what constitutes "reasonable length for hiking". I know of a few lakes in The Bob that are ~12 - 15 miles from the trailhead.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Trapper
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,731 / 0
    Talking about Bear Spray. Just what does it do to the Bear. Does it make it stop and go away or does it confuse it, or does it make it mad at you. One always hears about carrying it for your protection but you never hear of anybody using it. It is something to think about.

When I'm fishing up in the hills I always look around before I take off on a river. I've came a cross a few black bears when I've been fishing, but they always seem to go one way and me another. Usually about as fast as we can.