video - Tunkwanamid

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by Hans Weilenmann, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Ratings: +358 / 0
    [IMG]

Tunkwanamid
    Hook: Partridge BIN #10 (#4-#12)
    Thread: Gudebrod 8/0, white
    Tag/rib: Tinsel, silver fine oval
    Body: Peacock herl
    Breathers: Ostrich herl, white

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

Cheers,
    Hans W
    troutpocket, jimmydub and Stonefish like this.
  2. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Thanks for sharing this. I can still remember going to Tunkwa 30+ years ago when I first started flyfishing. I had no idea what Chironomids were. The Canadians in camp took me under their wing and helped me get things semi dialed in.
    I caught a few fish but the fish they were catching on chironomids was a real eye opening experience.
    SF
  3. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Thanks for sharing, Hans! I think I'm going to get some of these tied up, and then start playing around with variations.
  4. Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Ratings: +358 / 0
    Hi Jimmy,

To get you started - known/established variations are black ostrich herl breathers, or red tag/rib.

Have fun,
    Hans W
    jimmydub likes this.
  5. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Nice. I caught a fish at Coffeepot with one of these already in its jaw. Now I know the fly had a name.
  6. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Thanks again, I was already thinking of the red tag/butt and a rib of fine red wire (I don't have red tinsel, something I must have now that I think of it). Simple, yet it captures the essential look of the chironomid pupa.
  7. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,101 / 1
    I put a bead on mine or I used to anyway, but I thought I created the dang thing. Figures!
    jimmydub likes this.