Vise Question for the tiers out there

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Griswald, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hi all,

I have been tying flies now about a year. I am enjoying it alot and the time has come for me to upgrade from my old really el cheapo...

I have been thinking about a Renzetti Traveler, a DanVise, a low end Regal...
    I have searched the archives and found good info there, I am leaning to the Renzetti Traveler. But I saw this Orvis vise for about $80. Looks a lot like the Renzetti to me- but what do I know? Now, I am here to say I will probably do a decent amount of tying maybe 3 dozen flies a month, but not realistically more than that.

Would anyone care to give me:
    1. Their experience with this Orvis Vise
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...p_id=1279&cat_id=5088&subcat_id=6177&shop_id=

2. If they think this one would be any better or worse than the Renzetti or DanVise?

Sorry I know this has been beat to death, but just would like to hear some of y'alls good advise :thumb:

Thanks in advance!

Griswald
  2. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  3. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    tell ya what... I have been tying for years on a $20 vice. I recently got a renzetti as a gift... I am glad to have the thing, but for the $$$ I would have rather gotten a gift certificate... If the vice holds the fly (or rotates for rotary vice) I am a happy customer... That is just my take on it. Cheaper is better.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    The Renzetti Traveler base model (not the c-clamp type) is simply an outstanding vice. The Renzetti will probably be the most expensive of the ones you mentioned, but once you get one you'll have it for life.

K
  5. Steelheader Only 3 more years until I can think like a fish.

Orting,WA
    Renzetti Traveler is an awesome vise, but you are right that Orvis vise looks just like it. I think that is the same vise as the one they sell at the sportsman warehouse. You might check that out as well. Think it still is a little cheeper than 79.00. One of my buddies has a Dan Vise and it is huge. To big for my taste.
  6. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    The described vise is a Danvise . . .

It appears that the Orvis website has the wrong picture up for the described product.

The picture is clearly of a Renzetti Traveller pedestal cam vice (I have one). The description (and price) is of the Danvise. The description mentions Delrin and a clamp, none of which the vise in the picture includes.

Back to original question. I have a Regal Pedestal; great vise. I have a Renzetti Traveler cam; great vise. I have two Thompson's (a clamp and a rotary pedestal); good vises. I like 'em all. If I could only keep one vise, though, and most of the flies I tied were between #20 and 2/0, or tying epoxy body flies, it would be the Renzetti. For tying bigger flies, I like the Regal; no-adjustment and holds a hook like a pit bull.

Richard :thumb:
  7. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Vices

I have a renzetti traveler base model and its great. I have had it for 5 years and it hasnt had any problems.
  8. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    My Vote for the DanVise

I started tying about two years ago and went straight to the DanVise. I'm not saying it was the best I could find, but it had nice reviews from the publications I was reading, especially for the price, and I was convinced I wanted to start with a true rotary. I know I could have spent less, but suspected I'd be wanting something better one day, and yet couldn't see going well over a hundred bucks for something I wasn't SURE I'd stick to.

I stuck with it and I'm still pleased. It answers all my needs and I can't imagine ever wanting anything more.

(Having said that, if a Traveller was to fall in my lap... ;) )

My two coins...

Ps...Although I don;t have an Orvis catalog in front of me, they were carrying the DanVise at the time I was shopping and it was listed at about $79.00.
  9. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    I have the renzetti master, great vise, but way to spendy.
  10. Mike Active Member

Someplace between here and there
    Ratings: +39 / 0
  11. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    New Vises

Im still working on my old Thompson A vise - its been with me since my grade school days - my flies work and that's what counts. I tie all different sizes too. I can find replacement parts easily too. It's up to you what you like. That vice from Orvis looks good, if I had $80 burning a hole in my pocket I might get one also.
    Good luck!!
  12. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    I would like to thank all of you for your help, experiences and advice! I think I am gonna go whole hog and get the Renzetti Traveller. It never, ever ceases to amaze me the amount of quality responses and knowledgable, friendly opionions out there.

Best regards,
    Griswald
  13. Paulo1 New Member

Richmond, UK
    Renzetti Traveller to go!!!

Started tying somewhat more obsessively, and have switched from the Renzetti traveller (pedestal) to an HMH Spartan. Really enjoyed the Renzetti, as I did the Dyna-King Squire, but I seem to have swallowed AK Best's books, and went for the HMH.
    If anyone has some of AK's fly tying tools, and would like to swap them for the Renzetti, I would be happy to mail it to you, all the way from here, in the UK.