Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Vise question

740 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Darden 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade to a newer vise. Right now the 3 I am looking at are the Renzetti Traveler, the Renzetti Presentation and the Nor-vise. I am leaning more toward the Renzetti's and really am looking for info on the 2 models I listed. Does anyone have experience with the two different models? What are the differences between them? Is the presentation worth the extra money over the traveler?

Thanks for the info guys!

#3 ·
I would agree with Scott, I've tied on the presentation as well and saw little difference to justify the cost difference. Tied on a number of other top end vises as well and wouldn't use anything but the same old Traveler (for more years than I can remember) I'm still tying on.
I did upgrade to the cam jaws when they first came out, I've never found a vise I liked better.

My 2 cents !!

Mark

#5 ·
I throw my 2 cents in. You mentioned the Norvise, but said you have narrowed your search to the 2 Renzetti vises. I tied on the Traveler for several years and it was my only vise (except for a $25 beginner vise). It served me well and I liked it very much. It had a few issues that were not big for me at first, but it did not handle large streamer hooks well. Since I did not tie too many of these, this was not a problem. Then, I decided to try a Norvise at the recommendation of a local fly shop owner. It was a learning curve and bit getting use to, but today it is my primary vise. I still have my traveler but never use it. And Norm has the greatest customer service. Much better than Renzetti ( another one of their short comings).

Dr Bob

#6 ·
I like the Traveler better because you can get all the options for it that you can't get for the Presentation vise. I have a longer stem for mine and a clamp for when I can't use the pedestal. I tie sizes from28 to 4/0 on it and haven't had a problem. With the bigger hooks, you have to seat them deeper, I learned that when I chipped the jaws on my model A, (which they replaced at no cost) a long time ago. The only problem I've had is with the O-ring breaking, you can replace it with another or a rubber band, which I think works better! I have many friends who love the nor-vise.....I tried it and you will either love it or hate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.