Vises again?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ken2cross, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I'm just wondering if any of you use a cheap vise like I do. I keep seeing those hundreds of dollar vises and wondering if it would allow me to catch more fish. The vise I use doesn't even have a name on it.

I just have trouble justifying a new vise considering how few flies I actually loose or wear out.

I've never tried a rotary vise.

Ken

2. Tied on a Thompson A for years and loved it. Wife got me a Regal for my birthday years ago and I loved that, too. Neighbor was looking to unload his Renzetti Traveler in '97 and since the price was right ($50) and I was interested in trying out a rotary, I bit; glad I made the choice. Do I need the rotary function? - no. Am I happier tying with it? - yes. It's all about what makes you happy and if you're satisfied with what you have, I'd say that answers your question.

Regards,
    Scott

3. If your vise holds your hook securely... thats all you need. If you try a rotary you'll understand why those that have them wouldn't tie on anything else, including me. I use my Renzetti more for looking at all sides of the fly than using it as a lathe. I tie on non rotary vises on occasion at work and it drives me crazy to not be able to rotate them.

4. +1
    Tied on both - I like looking at all aspects of the fly - so I stick with my DynaKIng

5. My first vise was not even a Thompson A, but a Herter's knockoff of one. The primary function of a vise is to hold the hook securely and so long as it does that well , what more can you ask? Since I write product reviews for a fly fishing magazine, I have had the opportunity to try out quite a few vises and Ive found a number of simple and inexpensive ones. Currently I do most of my tying on a Peak vise and am as satisfied with its performance as any I've tied on. No vise will make you a better tier; hell, Harry Lemire tied beautiful, full-dressed Atlantic salmon flies without using a vise at all.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  6. +1 I use a Renzetti as well. Used to use a Thompson G (old hunk of cast iron). Worked fine, but would never go back.

7. I have a Regal that I used for years and a Norvise a friend gave to me. I bought a Renzetti traveler and like the rotary function for ribbing, winding bodies and checking for gaps/overwinds on the opposite side of the fly. I haven't used the other two since getting the Renzetti. But they have their purposes.

8. As your tying advances, as I have found out, you'll greatly appreciate being able to rotate your fly for the reasons mentioned earlier, and i've tied flies faster too.

9. If the vise is holding the sizes of hooks you typically tie then your good from the tying perspective.
    The way I justify a high end vise is the I'll be using it for another 20 to 30 years (knock on wood) then my son
    can have for the next 50 or so. A quality vise is like jewelry and should last a long long time

dfl likes this.
  10. I've had many vises (and a few vices) over the years and have come to this conclusion: if it holds the hook well and can be rotated it's good. The rotary feature allows for inspection of the fly and for easy placement of materials (top, bottom, sides). But, not all rotary vises offer true rotary tying.

11. Very true indeed. I've had a Thompson 30+ yrs and just recently a Peak. You don't need to spend much. I'd save the dough for good materials tho.

dfl likes this.
  12. +1 on this...I hate it when my hook pings off into the room somewhere or moves while tying. I also don't know what I would do without rotary.

I look at it this way. If you aren't really into tying, tie a few flies, or want something portable for waterside ties, there is nothing wrong with a cheap vice. It will perform the basic functions and get the job done. Equate this with a truck you drive around on the farm or back 40 with farm use plates.

As your skills and flytying inventory grows, you'll probably want some more bells and whistles on your vice. Rotary, adjustments, add-ons, etc. Consider this your daily driver. A farm use truck will get you where you want to go but the milk crate or patio chair will get old.

Then as you start looking at flytying as a hobby or job unto itself (usually about the time you start shying away from Hareline) you may want a more refined vice with more specialization, durability, or machining quality. Much like a BWM, Caddy, Lexus, etc; bit more refinement and modcons than your daily driver.

Finally, when you start thinking that flytying is part of who you are, art, or hardcore (usually when people start asking if your flytying is a mental illness) then you may find yourself with a highly specialized vice that isn't much different from your Caddy but may have reduced power to weight ratio, jawdropping hp, or may be in Jay Leno's garage.

I've drove a farm truck around for many years but I wouldn't mind having a Mercedes SLS AMG GT in my garage.

Bradley Miller and dfl like this.
  13. Here's a cheap vise fer ya.......
    I've had this vise for 20-25 years at least DSC00820.JPG . The finger loop had to be resoldered but the vise works fine. Only good for small flies. Maybe size 14 the largest hook it will accommodate. Fun vise for the small stuff.

14. Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the input
    Ken