"Vision" Hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Bob Triggs, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    I just got a few sample hooks from a rep for a new outfit called "Vision Hook and tackle Co".

These new hooks are very much like the Gamakatsu hooks, Octopus style; in red laquer and gunmetal gray, very nice quality as far as heft, shape, finish and colors. He says they are half the price of the Gammys. He had some other styles as well, I got a handful of bass hooks to try out too. Looks like these hooks are viable for trailers, string leeches etc. Does anyone have any experience with the new "Vision" hooks?
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +663 / 5
    Yup, I have a ton of experience with them. They've actually been around for a few years, just bought out and under new management. Not sure if they changed anything, but if you use a specific size in the salmon octopus hooks, you have to buy one size up. So if you like 2's, buy 1's, use 1's buy 1/0's, etc.

They are good hooks, and very inexpensive. The major beef before the buyout was quality control on the hooks. Too many "seconds" were buying let through. Especially with fisherman who use alot of hooks in an outting (especially guides who boondog) they would have some big amounts of bad hooks, depending on the bag of hooks. I always liked them. But were very hard to find in stock, even at Sportco. In fact I'm still running off a batch of older hooks. I use them alot for my tube fly hooks and my stinger hooks. Nothing but good things to say about the "good" hooks. LOL. Did you happen to hear if they were going to start making flyhooks? Will say those hooks were sharp and set quite nicely.
  3. Hywel New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Bob Triggs

I've had exactly two experiences with Vision hooks - one bend out, one break.

That's all it took to remember the age-old advice - you get what you pay for.

SH69,

You're using an up-turned eye octopus-style hook on your tube flies?!

Hywel
  4. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Hook Line & Sinker in Arlington has been selling them for a while now also. I have tested a few and for thier price they are average in strength but the temper is still to hard which make them snap instead of bend, but they are very cheap I think they are 2.19 for 25 or something like that. Of course I have to put my 2ยข in again on the matter of hooks, BUY BUY BUY Mustad . . . . They know what they are doing, Norway has huge fish, the temper is perfect and they are just as cheap. . . but if you really want that nice finish Owner or VMC, they are moving up the list and are about to knock off Gamu in the trendy hook catagorie :D
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,617 / 0
    I used them when I used to gear fish and I think I got them because of them being cheaper. But then again I don't think that no matter what fish hook I used that I would catch something :( . I think that I'm out there just for the excersize. :beathead:

Jim
  6. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Why don't you get some excersize showing me some of those seceret spots. . . :D
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Hywel, yup I do. Never had a problem with hookups at all. In fact, I tie a ton of tubes for driftfisherman who ONLY use octopus hooks. They lay almost perfectly straight out of the tubing. In fact trolling for salmon when I was younger in the 70's in Puget Sound we used bucktail tubes with mustad octopus hooks. Never had a problem back then hooking either. I'm sure you've used aeroflies. Same thing, most guys didn't use straight eyed hooks with those. Used octopus on those too.

Onto vision, the problem with breaking them back then is most people bought the "size" they needed. Not knowing that they were sized different. One of the big beefs with the company (and the previous owners lol). New owners, and hopefully better quality control. Alot of guys who moved up a size lost the "breakage/bending" problem. I prefer gami's anyways, I'll spend the extra. But I rec'd a ton of them for virtually free. So used them up. I found I didn't have the problem if I used the next size up that I normally would use (and compared next to my owners and gami's and size are about 1 off).
  8. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Yeah I have used octopus style hooks for tubes also, but I believe it in the knot on how the shank travel and I never tie to the eye of a octopus hook but alway some sort of shank knot. So I'm curious what knot you use Jerry???
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Sorry Jeremy, missed your post. Actually, VMC used to be "up there" years ago until Gami jumped up the charts with hooks. Owner has well passed Gami already, they are known as one of the best hooks on the market now for a couple years now. With hooks though, it's like saying "Do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or????". You'll get answers that range through all of them. Good friend of mine only uses Mustads (which their new ultrasharps are nice, I've been looking to try some of those out actually for the price of them). I've used pretty much all the hook brands out there. Funny that one of the better/best fly hooks out there make one of the worst octopus hooks (Daiichi).
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I don't use the improved clinch knot. I tie around the hook like I would a bait loop knot. So the line goes through the eye and wraps around the shank.

Thought I'd do a quick edit. I do a knot LIKE a bait loop. What I do is tie it in reverse. Not sure if there is a name for the knot, but works for me. In the end, no loop, just the wraps with the line going out the eye.
  11. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +620 / 0
    The Vision Hooks Rep told me that the new owner has invested over $100,000 in renewing the product line. Sounds serious to me.