NFR Voting by mail.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    My ballot was sent in a few days ago but I miss going to the polling place and voting.
    Our right to vote is precious: fought for, demonstrated for and often denied through the years.
    Voting by mail in the comfort of your home sitting at the table in your underwear seems to trivialize the work that our fore-fathers (and fore-mothers) have done.
    I used to vote early in the day when I could and proudly wore my "I VOTED" sticker on my shirt all day.
    Whatever your view of mail-in voting. I hope you voted and I hope you remembered how important it is.
    jesse

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Agree 100% Jesse! I did vote, but I miss going down to the ol' fire station to do it. It doesn't seem right, and I believe it opens up a potential can of worms...i.e. fraud, lost ballots, etc.

3. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Having moved here from Florida 3 years ago I can tell you that avoiding 2-3-hour long lines at the poling place is OK by me. I love the mail in voting.

4. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I appreciate the mail in voting. I think that is does encourage more legal voters to vote than standard polling locations do. There are many of my friends (early-mid twenties) that probably would not have voted if not for the absentee ballot in the mail.

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I love mail in, but I hear what you are saying. Voting used to be a time to gather in rural areas. But sadly, a lot of community forging habits have gone the way of the local Grange, Dodo and the Alvord Cutthroat.

But definitely have to vote. No matter how choose, your right to that choice is the essence of America.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Steve Vaughn likes this.
  7. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    Guess I'm lucky. Voted at 8 this morning down at the VFW. No lines. Only part about this election that wasn't annoying, especially here in Ohio.

8. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I can understand feeling that the process of voting is important and is a little trivialized by mail voting. I have fond memories of going with my parents when they voted and was very proud when I got to do it myself for the first time.

But it's far more important to me to get the absolute highest number people to vote. Voting itself is what our forefather's died for, not getting a sticker from the old lady manning the polling station.

To that end, I'll support whatever legitimate voting method increases turnout.

The Duke and Rob Ast like this.
  9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    double post

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I concur with all above.

I miss the polling stations, but whoever thought voting on a Tuesday was a good idea didn't have the workin' man and woman in mind. I remember driving home after a long day at work on an election day way back when; the polls had closed in east-coast and midwestern states, and I heard the newscaster call the race for one of the candidates, AND I HADN'T EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO VOTE YET! I'm glad it is something that everyone has equal opportunity to do.

Evan, thanks for posting the website to confirm that our ballots have been received. Now I know that my vote will be among the totals as they post them on the news tonight!

D

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I too miss the civic duty ritual of going to the polling place to vote. I don't think I ever waited more than 5 minutes to vote in person, so it was no bother. To preserve some sense of ritual I drive to one of the ballot drop off boxes (there are 2 locations) on my way to work instead of mailing them in.

12. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

In Australia you vote on a weekend, both days. Non-voters are fined $100. Kinda like that, but then you have to consider the uninformed who only vote to avod the fine.

13. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

While I enjoy the convenience, I'm in agreement that mail in ballots highly increase the possibility of fraud. Just found out from a co-worker that almost her entire street had their ballots stolen from their mailboxes.

14. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Same here. It was satisfying to drop my ballot in the big official-looking box with the heavy-duty padlock. And grab a serve-yourself "I voted" sticker.

15. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

After 4 years in the military I have never been a fan in standing in a line of any kind. For anything. So the vote by mail is just excellent to me. But I will say that since this only happens every 4 years there is plenty of time to make it come off seamlessly and without having to bring in porta potties for those that stand in line for 3 hours. We get tax forms every year and seem to manage that ok on an annual basis, why the hell can't we hold a simple election every 4 years without all the drama?

One of the problems with voting in a booth is the complexity of all the propositions on the ballot. You have to know before going in what they all mean in order to vote for what you really want. Some are so poorly written an so opaque that they have to be read more than once to figure out what a no or yes vote actually means. Voting at home gives you time to study your options, maybe discuss them with your mate and make an intelligent choice rather than just taking a 50/50 stab at it.

There is way too much pressure being put on minority voters right now to disinfranchise them from voting at all and significant gerrymandering is still taking place 60 years after I learned in high school civics class that it had been abolished. Voting should become uniform throughout the land. That way any deviation from the accepted norm would be much easier to spot and could be nipped in the bud.

Ive

16. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

The first 20 years of my voting life was done by mail in ballot because I was on active duty, after retiring I voted once at a polling station and would rather do it this way.....I liked the feeling of dropping my ballot into one of the locked ballot boxes. That said I have no real issue with mail in and it gives me a chance to research my options before casting my vote.

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I just noticed it's a "King County" link. Not sure if there's a place to check for the rest of the state.

18. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Every method of voting is susceptible to some type of fraud. The nice thing about paper ballots, is it keeps the incidents on a small scale. Electronic voting machines can (and do) cause much larger scale issues.

19. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I, too, love the postal ballot, in a few years we'll be doing it from home on our computers or over our smartphones. I always felt that going to a polling location tested folks' real motivation for stating their preferences in an election, that part I do miss.

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Voting by mail is the U. S. government's attempt to save the U. S. Postal Service. Not a fan of mandating the practice. Not a fan of the two stamp price paid to help a struggling company. Not a fan.