NFR Voting by mail.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I drove 20 feet and put it in the ballot box. No stamps required.

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I was voting by mail years ago, I was a commercial fisherman and we always seem to be fishing on election day. I did like the ceremony of going to the polls and made sure I took my kids with me when I voted that way.

Ed, the post office is not a company, it's a government service that paid for itself and then some until congress passed a law a few years ago, that requires them to pre-fund their retiree health & welfare 75 years out, within a 10 year span. They had to throw 5 billion into an already over funded system just this year. I don't think you could get a private company to pack a letter across the country for 45 cents.
    http://postalemployeenetwork.com/ne...nd-enhancement-act-of-2006-the-death-of-usps/
    Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I had to say that.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chris, not doubting you but:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global500/2006/snapshots/1496.html

Publicly traded on the NYSE, has a CEO, has a business model and reports. Lipstick on a pig. Govt or not, it is run like a business...number 61 of the top 500 if the Internet source is remotely reliable.

They don't deliver packages to my house. My route drivers are too lazy to walk down the driveway. UPS, FedEx and DHL all make the walk.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Without getting into the broader argument about it or its role (or lack) in society, It should be clarified that the United States Postal Service is not a publicly traded company on the NYSE or any stock market.

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Okay, not traded. Not sure I really care enough about that company...government agency...or whatever it is considered.

6. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    $.90....also the price to drive about 6.5 miles at $3.50 a gallon in a 25 mpg car. Please.....

Steve Call likes this.
  7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    In my community, the ballot drop box is closer to our house than the nearest post office. I suspect that is true about as often as not, given how many drop boxes there are.

As someone noted previously, a ballot, like a check or moneyorder, is too valuable to leave out in your mailbox for someone (anyone) to pick up, so we should all be delivering our ballots to a secure point, be it post office or ballot drop box. It's your choice whether to use the Postal Service as an intermediary or not. I realize that in some rural areas, this may not be much of a choice, if it is a long way to the nearest ballot drop box.

My bigger concern is the long delay in tallying ballots, given that they can be cast as late as the end of the postal day on election day. I think we should go with the Oregon system, which says that ballots need to be in the hands of the election system by the end of election day, so results can be tallied earlier.

D

8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    That's a good point Richard. Maybe if they had a "must be postmarked by" date of a few days prior to election day it would expedite the counting process. And if someone missed the postmark date, then that person could still vote in person.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Here's an interesting quote from Thom Hartmann's Blog page on November 5:

And we're already seeing the effect of Republican efforts to restrict the vote. It was voting chaos in Florida over the weekend, as voters tried to cast their ballots early. Nightmarishly long lines at polling places forced voters to wait in line for as many as nine hours. At one polling place, more than 180 voters had their cars towed away while they were waiting to vote. This is all the result of Republicans in the state legislature deciding to cut down the number of early voting days this year from 14 down to 8.

Republican Governor Rick Scott rejected calls to keep polling places open longer to accommodate for the influx of voters, but he refused saying that only a natural disaster would warrant extending voting hours. On Tuesday, more chaos is expected as fewer polling places will be open around the state than in 2008 - thanks to budget cuts. Similarly long line were reported in Ohio - where Republican Secretary of State John Husted also cut down on early voting hours.

There are many ways to rig an election - cutting down on early voting is just one of them. Stay tuned.

-Thom

Skysoldier likes this.
  10. Ed Call

Media:
    Any chance the vehicles were towed because they were illegally parked?

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Any chance they were illegally parked because it took nine hours for something that should have taken 30 minutes?

Skysoldier and dryflylarry like this.
  12. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    You can always do what I do... I vote with the guide in front of me along with my wife and then, usually the next day, I drive down to City Hall and deposit the ballots in the drive-through kiosk.

Kind of the best of both worlds.

Craig

13. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

It is the right of every US citizen to vote and they should be able to do so withgout being fucked with regardless of what side they are voting for. I know I did not serve this nation for over 20 years just so some asshat governor could go out of his way to make voting a nightmare for some voters.

signed
    Degusted Voter