VT2 7130 vs 8139

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steffan Brown, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I'm curious to find out the differences in applications between these two. I recently acquired the 8139 and like it a lot. However, being new to the spey, I am still developing my feel for what I like in a rod. Although, it feels good casting, I'm curious if I will be overgunned in most situations. I fish primarily in Western/Eastern Washington and it sounds like the 7130 is more of an 8 wt. than a 7wt. and could be more versatile for winter and summer than the 8139. I realize eventually, I will probably want 2 sticks to cover these two seasons, but am I missing out on anything by having the heavier of these two rods? Can I cover most situations in western WA with the 7130 during winter? I don't have any trips planned to BC/Alaska anytime soon, so I want something that will be well suited for this neighborhood before I worry about venturing out. Thanks for any input from those that have casted both of these rods...
  2. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 6
    Not sure about those two specific rods, but a few general thoughts. Depends on where you are fishing. Big water, wind, and big fish the 8139 will be good. Fishing the Methow and catching 5-6lb fish would be overkill. I have had spey rods that threw 630-650 gr skagit lines and even on the Clearwater seemed over matched for the fish. A 5/6 or 6/7 would be a good complement to that rod in the future.
  3. speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Plainfield, IL
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    One thing I've learned is to remember that when I shell out hundreds of bucks for these kinds of rods, I am getting some really high-performance equipment. I think that sometimes we as fly anglers sort of forget the quantam leap in performance that our gear takes over spinning setups. they are SO much more powerful than we think when proper power and leverage are used correctly.

Performance------ doesn't just mean they cast nice.

I have been landing steelhead in the 8-11 lb range this fall on a 6 wt, and totally forgot about the fact that it said "6wt" on it. I know that this isnt really testing the rod all the way; but it is pushing it into the red zone just a bit.

Use that butt, keep rod angle low, and you can drag a back of rocks upstream with most 7wts. Just my opinion.
  4. Phil Fravel Friendly

Bonney Lake
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    A rod around 7130 is truly all the rod you would need to cover most of the water in the PNW. That said as you begin enjoying and learning more and more about spey fishing people tend to fine tune different rods with different rivers, flies and flows. Just as you might like a 3 or 4 weight for the Yakima river but would prefer a 5 or 6 weight for Rockey Ford. Would a 5 weight fish both of those places? yap,. Spey is the same way. Your 8 vt2 will cover a ton a water. Fish it in the winter on big rivers with heavy tips and when summer rolls around look to pick up a 6 weight. then you will have the PNW totally covered. Besides it is hard to stop buying fly rods and having a purchas to look forward to is also fun.

Mary Christmas to all
  5. theCOkid New Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Recently debated between Sage 7 and 8 weight as well. Went with the 7. I've since compared to a friend's 8. Mine is a bit lighter and a little less rigid. I feel comfortable tossing big flies on a 10' T-11 sink tip. Not as powerful of a rod as the 8, but I really like the feel of it. It's really lively and fun to cast.
  6. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys. I've decided to keep the 8... I found the G-spot on her over the weekend and had a bonding session with it. KABOOM!!! I guess I just needed to hear your advice and kept practicing. Now I gotta start saving and researching 6 wts so I'm prepared when the warm weather comes back around. Then I'll be set!:thumb:
  7. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Santa brought be a V2 8130. I live on the west side and plan on spending a lot of time over on the coastal rivers in Feb. March & April looking of natives. My thought was that I would be fishing some fairly big water, often in runoff conditions for bigger fish. I agree with you, If I were to be fishing on the east side I would have gone with a little lighter rod. I'm learning to fish a Skagit head system for the conditions I expect to encounter on the coastal rivers. I also am hoping on fishing the Deschutes in the fall and am considering a Rio Windcutter II line.

How have you set-up you rod?
  8. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    I have it set up with an Airflo Compact Skagit 570... I've read and spoken with others that recommend the 550 Compact Skagit by Rio with a 5 ft. cheater, but I haven't compared the two. How do you have it lined currently Bushwhacker?
  9. bushwacker Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I began by visiting Seattle area fly shops and asking about Spey tackle. Each had a slightly different take based upon the products they were selling. I got a lot of good advise and don't doubt they were sincere in their recommendations. I then watched a number of videos on Spey fishing and concluded that the one by Way Yin was the best that I had seen (purely subjective). He endorsed Scientific Angler and as a result I bought the SF Skagit four tip system.

The best book and video I have come across on Spey casting goes to Simon Gawesworth, in my opion, he is "THE MAN" when in come to teaching spey casting. Another great video on how to set-up your spey system in John and Amy Hazel's video.

To answer your question, I have a 120' running line attached to the Skagit head and various sink tips, depending on conditions. But as to practicing my spey technique, I've decided to go with the Rio Windcutter II and expect, with various leaders, to meet my summer/fall floating line requirements.

While this all sound good, I have yet to put it to the test. Next fall I still think I'll still be fishing the Grand Rhonde and Methow with my 7wt. single hander.