W side E side cast and blast

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by ribka, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    A few good days in the OP on the W side then for some birds on the E side. Neighbor shot a decent buck and helped butcher it.

Made some tasty summer sausage and brats. Smoked up some salmon today. Fall is my favorite time of the year.:thumb:
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Nice photos Tom, thanks for taking us along. How are the quail numbers this year? Grouse seem to have vanished from the Okanogan.
  3. ribka Active Member

E WA
    I only hunted a few hours but managed to get into 2 coveys of quail . Each covey I would guess 12-15 birds. I only took 2 birds from each covery. TRy and not take too many birds. Numbers seems normal but birds are younger this year. From late hatch I would guess. Jumped more huns this year it seems.
  4. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Nice, Tom, and I agree that this is the best time of year.
  5. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Now that's an awesome cast and blast! Love the intensity of your vizsla - great looking points.
  6. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
  7. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    Great looking dog!

Thanks for sharing.
  8. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    I tried to cast n blast this weekend, but kept kicking up roosters when I was carrying a fly rod and hens when I had a shotgun.
  9. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +640 / 0
    You work-at & live a dream, Tom . . . nicely done. I'll take the pup out next weekend for Quail now that he's recovered from becoming a surgically-altered male & Salmon season on the Yak has ended. Thanks for the photos and story.
  10. ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Port Gamble WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Wow, a fine cast and blast indeed! Well done sir!
  11. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Did you get into any searun cutts while you were out on the OP?
  12. ribka Active Member

E WA
    I picked up a few but nothing over 14 inches. A few October caddis were coming off the river. I was mostly concentrating on picking up a limit of salmon.

This guy took a dirt nap in the quail area
  13. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +640 / 0
    He looks peaceful & serene & no more threat to you or your Viz.
  14. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 1
    Nicely done, Tom. We should get our Vizslas together and do some bird hunting.
  15. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Very nice Tom! I too noticed that while there were some nice sized coveys of quail, the birds were on the small side. I also got into lots more huns and pheasants on the opening up by Brewster. BTW-on the pheasant opener in Montana, on the first day of the season my dog got into a porcupine and got about 40 quills in the face, tongue and other parts of the mouth. One of my hunting partners fortunately had a leatherman with cutters. I didn't know this, but by cutting the quills, the air is let out and the barb retracts making it easy to pull out. That really saved us. My young little setter allowed us to pull out all the quills with hardly a whimper. As soon as we let her up she was off hunting as if nothing had happened. Second day of the season she got into a skunk!! That night the two of us had a shower with tomato juice and club soda. What a rodeo that was! She did smell better, but was banished from the motel room for a couple nights. The good thing was that the skunking didn't affect her ability to smell birds! I shot 9 pheasants all over her points! Rick
  16. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Another one to add for the side blast. Naches tomorrow or Ringold for the cast

Looks like won't be going hungry this Winter
  17. ribka Active Member

E WA
  18. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    This really works for deskunking a dog. I use Dawn detergent. It also lightens your dogs hair color just a bit. So my black lab was a bit grayer!

How to de-skunk dog

The Spokesman-Review
    Tags:2009 hunting guidebird dogshuntingoutdoorsskunks

In the early 1990s, a group of unheralded chemists gave the world one of the greatest gifts since penicillin: A cheap, effective treatment for a skunk-sprayed dog.

Be prepared. Stock the ingredients in your rig.

If a skunk has rendered your dog unfit for human companionship, use this tested recipe to neutralize the odor.

•Mix 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide with 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of liquid soap.

•Apply mixture to dog.

•Put the dog on a leash and take it for a walk upwind of your least favorite neighbors.

•Leave the mixture on the dog for at least five minutes before rinsing.

•Then breathe easy.

–Rich Landers
  19. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Thanks Vladimir! I'll bring those things along next time! Rick
  20. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +885 / 0
    Outstanding, Tom!!