W side lakes on fire now! Go!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Wallace, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Hedzup! Several W side lakes are providing hot trout action right now! Find one near you and have at it! I could not for the life of me get my micro-brew opened yesterday afternoon! Finally had to reel my black #10 sparkle bugger (fished on a clear intermediate line) in so I had time to reach for the beer and give the cap a twist!:beer1: Pyramid Snow Cap! Good one for out on the lake!

I think a pause (in stripping) that is about the same length of time required to reach for a beer and grip the cap in preparation to twisting it off, is about right to induce a strike. Worked for me, except you can't get your beer opened this way!
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Gee, Jim I feel so sorry for ya.
    Try snipping off the hook on said fly, no problem opening and drinking beer then.
    Tis the season!!!
  3. pfournier Do it outside!

tacoma, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Jim, what part of the w-side are you fishing? Don't need to know exact lake unless you care to share.
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Try the new Iron Horse, Ellensburg, Irish Death - some good stuff.

MB
  5. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i recommend trying busch for all your fishing adventures
  6. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Taylor-do you wash your dishes in that stuff before or after you drink it?:D

Ive
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Check yer pms.
  9. Greg Arcara Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Not very helpful for the thread, but I love Snow Cap :) Where are you finding it already? I was looking in the store yesterday and no dice.. Ended up w/ "Brrr" which a pretty good too!
  10. Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Vashon Island, Wa.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Every year I love the Winter seasonals...It usually comes down to Alaskan Winter, SnowCap, or Wassail...so far this year SnoCap is working best for me, but have not had Wassail yet.
    Best time of beer!

Griswald
  11. orkila Member

Seattle
    There is no better winter seasonal brew, nor better name, than "Winterfish" from Fish Brewing Company in Olympia.
    :beer1:
  12. Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Mount Vernon, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Things are picking up at my favorite Whatcom County lake too, though my beginner brain is too small to figure out the right fly and presentation. Guess I'll be trying the woolybugger/beerbottle method.
  13. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +180 / 6
    If it stops raining I'll have a Lone Lake report.
  14. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Tried the Irish Death couple of nights ago, FANTASTIC!!!
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I'll have to find some Irish Death and give it a try. Also have to try the Winterfish. I love the Alaskan Winter Ale. The touch of Spruce tips adds a nice flavor.

OK, now you know my seeecret lake fishing techneek. Study the stooking reports and pick out the closest lake thats been recently stocked. Stocked two weeks ago is best, since the cookie cutters still don't know a cedar twig from a crawdad claw and have gotten reely hungry.
    Pick a day with little or no wind. Launch your pram or canoe. Don't forget anyting, but if you do have to forget something, at least make sure you haave a couple of good micro brews along. (Necessessary for success, using this proven techneek)).
    Use any wooly buugah or randumbly pick a fly form your steamer box. Shtokers ar shtooped! Whoodathumkit??? Tie one on. Srip out a bunch of lines and attemp a cass. Padle some to straihten out yer lines. (howd I get so many lines?) Mov slowly and deliberratley:beer1: when reeching for that brewww. Don't bangg anythaing on the side of your boot or mak any splaishes with yoyur finns. Look the other way, pop that brew, and take a harty swig, as this shometimes ushually alsho works good (when you hjear your rod thunmpin' the gunnels, unswig and grab for it!):beer2: Fish on!
  16. I'm going to try Lake 16 this weekend. All the rivers and streams have blown out here in Sketch county anyway, if I don't fish and catch something soon I'll end up spinning around in my bedroom with my arms like an airplane making stupid humming noises.
    Damn rain, just when things were starting to drop into decent shape.
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I just checked the stocking reports, and Beaver Lake in King Co just got 1,000 2 1/2 pounders on Tuesday. They should be getting hungry....

Lake I was fishing only got 12" to 14"ers, less than 1 lb each. But it got 4,000 of 'em two weeks ago, and they were ravenous! Fun on a 4 wt. but not much of a challenge. Simple fishing. Even a drunken caveman could do it. Was a year-round Mason Co lake, one I call "Narwhalsawzall." Another lake in the area got a similar planting.

I read in the Olympian fishing report on Thurs that Offut Lake is fishing well, with many anglers getting limits of 15" to 18"ers.
  18. Dehlan G Member

UW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I definitely would be on Rattlesnake this weekend if my grades weren't so bad... I guess it's just studying and sports and no fishing until I get my grades up :( . My friends and I did well on RSL a few weekends ago, my buddy even caught two nice sized ones on dries casting from some stumps. I caught a couple with olive hale bopp leeches on an intermediate line. Go get em stockers
  19. Groundresonance New Member

Seattle, WA
    I live in Seattle and would like to fish some of the lakes on the west side, but do not have a boat or float tube. Any recommendations for wade-able lakes this time of year?
  20. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    That's a tall order! I can't even think of any "wadeable" lakes on this side that I fish. They all seem to drop off fairly rapidly from their banks. I've read a report by someone on this board about wading for carp in Green Lake. I know of some lakes with docks you can cast from, and a few lakes with small sections of open, grassy bank. (Those are usually occupied by shore-bound powerbaiters). But that's about it.

Thinking back to when i started fly fishing lakes, after the first time trying it from shore I became determined to find a boat asap.

There's gotta be some wadeable lakes. I just don't know about 'em. There's hundreds, maybe even thousands of lakes on this side! I only know a small handful.

If you want to fly fish lakes, you really should get some kind of boat. Either an inflatable craft (good if you are short on storage space) of some kind, or a small skiff or pram or even a canoe. Plenty of used cheap car-toppers around everywhere I look for sale in peoples yards when I hit the road. Also plenty show up on Craig'sList.