WA retirement location w/fly fishing nearby...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kurtataltos, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Don't you live in the cold/windy part of Montana?

2. Ron, Do you know the Probasco ?

3. I don't see any downside, and many upsides. Same as a distillery opening up and putting some jobs on the market in economically depressed location. Interesting article.

Kent Lufkin likes this.

4. Those punks you mentioned are the exception not the rule, and if the kids dad had anything to do with police work it may have been a volunteer reserve at best.. I don't know of any cops kid who has or does act that way.. Fishing, In numbers of fishers and hunters the biggest law breakers are non state residents and non us citizens who pretend to be , they buy license and harvest fish and game.. I have watched whole families take multiple fish in one day by snagging when the river is packed with salmon.. It is hard to be on the river when that sort of thing happens.. You don't see them fishing alongside locals very often, but when they get out for a day they often fish more secluded stretches of water and take all they can get.. Of course I want to say that the over harvester's are also the exception not the rule.
    As far as a religious right, I know nothing about that attitude but there are those who grew up when there was no license, no fees to speak of for most of Washington's bounty... this being when the fish runs seemed endless and game was abundant and generally there for the taking , there was a time here when we could not give away a sturgeon.. nobody at them and saw them as nasty bottom feeders or bait.. unfortunately some of those old timers are still kicking and still have the attitude of take what is there. more now than ever when you add up all the tags, fees etc. this state has imposed . They intend to get their monies worth.. it is just an old school way of thinking, years ago when I told my dad who now lives in Ohio that I catch and release he thought then and now that I am a total idiot blinded by the tree huggers and helping to cover for the states poor management and funding shortfalls. In Ohio, he would never pay for a license then let fish go... He says here in Washington I am just renting the fish for the day , like a DVD... enjoy it then return it.. then he laughs.. He likes to fish and hunt and eats what he is legally allowed to harvest and he believes he pays for it with his license, moreover he appreciates those who practice catch and release as he believes it increases his odds of putting fish in the freezer... Ron

5. All of Montana is cold and windy. It beats rain all the time like in Washington.

6. Wenatchee, or up valley toward Leavenworth. Wenatchee's got superb medical facilities, as I've learned over the last several years. It's too dry and treeless for my tastes there, hence the move to just above Leavenworth. I also appreciate the political breakdown with liberals on the wet side, and conservatives on the East.

7. Leavenworth had a lot fewer trees in the early 1900's. A few more fires and we might be back to a natural landscape around Leavenworth.

Wenatchee is a nice town, but WAY to CLOSE to Seattle. For retirement I would have liked community outside the weekend drive time radius from a major metro area.

8. You are talking about wyoming. Missoula is warm.

9. Kurt:

I went through a similar thought process about a year ago but did not limit myself to Washington. I considered any western state as a potential location with attributes that you described. I am still working (not retired) so I am still in research stage. For me, there are 2 additional things to consider in evaluating locations. One is how important is easy saltwater access for fishing? The other is how close do you want to be to family, and for me (and more my wife), our kids who are now young adults?

If both salt and fresh water access is important, the west side of the Cascades in Washington is a great choice as mentioned here by others. There are many locations up and down the state to locate and have good access to both. If saltwater is not that important, I would say consider other states besides Washington. I am not saying Washington should not be considered but it is not the only one. As others have also stated, the Bend, OR area is also an attractive location.

Dr Bob :)

10. Thanks for the reply, USMC VET. I know my post was a bit off the wall, seeing how's your new to the board. Its just that i've met a lot of folk around these parts who always talk stink about the WDFW and gripe about the C&R regs for cutthroat in the main stem streams that flow into the Bay. Many of the tributaries are under "state-wide rules," and harvest is OK there, so I figure that would be good enough. But no, some folks see me with a fly rod on the main stems where its C&R for the cutthroat, and come up to me and get in my face and b*tch about the C&R regs!

I even had one farmer try to piss me off by telling me that not long before, he noticed a young man, who had been fishing the Willapa R with bobber and worms, with about a dozen cutts on a flimsy stick trying to figure out how to get 'em all home on his 4-wheeler, so he offered to get him a piece of twine for a stringer, and went up to his barn and got it for him.
    He told me that he frowned on C&R, called it "playing with yer food" and went on to say that "God put them here for us to eat, not to play with!" I told him that he was entitled to his beliefs, but that I followed the rules, and was good with 'em as they are, and like to fish for cutthroat with a fly and let 'em go.
    He was good natured enough and we actually had a decent, but brief conversation on the subject. He was supporting a rule change to allow for retention of 5 trout, 12" or bigger. It failed, thankfully. I mentioned that he'd have a better chance asking to keep 2 trout 14" or bigger, like it is up in Grays Harbor and Olympic Peninsula rivers.

You say you live in Francis? There is an old timer fly guy who lives up there that sometimes (although rarely) posts on this board. He used to volunteer at the Fork Creek hatchery (might still). He's been fly fishing since he was a kid, and is a helluva decent guy. Really knows the area.
    I fished with him a couple of times, and he's asked me not to divulge any of his spots, as they already get enough traffic. However, I know of a few other good spots that he didn't show me.
    Last time I fished with him was in Dec 2011. He mentioned that he had a heart problem that was becoming a concern. I hope he's still fishing. I'll try to get ahold of him and see if he's still kickin, and let him know there's another fly guy buzzin around his area.

11. You most likely are talking about my good friend Merle, He was the one who taught me how to cast a fly rod and tie flies, I dropped off a few fishing videos for him to watch.. He is doing ok but does not go out as often as he did even a year ago
    He likes to fish the Cowlitz hatchery for cutthroat when they are in.. If he showed you a couple places to fish that is great, though he knows a lot of places to fish and has fished most every fishin hole in North and South Pacific Co.

Merle is a good friend and I am glad he lives close by

take care, Ron

12. You are lucky to have Merle as a friend.:) Please let him know that I'm glad to hear that he's doing OK.