NFR WA state liquor tax and 2 bottles of Dry Fly! Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottybs, Feb 9, 2013.

1. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Wow!!!

Back visiting my terminally ill grandfather in the home state this weekend. Decided to stop by Rosaurs and grab 2 bottles of Dry Fly Washington Wheat Whiskey for $33.99 each. Well on check out it came to about $87. A liquor tax and a liter tax? Ouch!!! State of Washington better find the cure for world hunger, AIDS, and the common cold in the next year with that revenue.

2. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I know it's disgusting. I'm pretty sure Washington has the highest sin taxes of any state.

3. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Around here, we call that a sinny-sin sin!

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    ...and to add insult to injury, the state just pisses it away.

ribka, NutJobRob, dbfly and 1 other person like this.
  5. ribka

ribka Active Member

I have a neighbor who makes 2 trips year to the Costco and Trader Joes on the California Oregon border.

two Buck Chuck and Pendleton

Nice guy!

6. Theron

Theron Active Member

Yeah last summer when I was in Washington I ran out of the bourbon I had brought along. I was surprised to find the same bottle was $15.00 dollars more than here in Nebraska and I thought we had some of the highest liquor taxes in the country.

7. Methow

Methow Active Member

FYI when voters passed to privatize liquor sales the tax was part of the bill they passed. The state did not put the tax on it the voters did. A lot of people did not read the bill they voted on.

skiman5982, PETI and dryflylarry like this.
  8. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

We didn't learn when we voted for the flat vehicle registration fee years ago did we? No matter what bill is on the table, the government won't Lose revenue, they'll tax the crap out of it or add fees to make up the difference, and then some. If its too good to be true....... I'll let you fill in the rest

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    While the booze taxes are ridiculously high, I still like the convenience of being able to buy a bottle at non state run stores.
    If you live in the Seattle area, Total Wines and More should be your go to store. The Bellevue store is 33,000 square feet of refreshment heaven. Less expensive then Costco with a much bigger selection.
    It averages $5-$6 less per 1.75 liter bottle less then I was paying at the state run stores.
    SF

10. cpjm

cpjm New Member

IF you have a military ID, the prices at the base shopette/BX are about 1/2 to 2/3 the price as a store outside the main gate. Nice benefit to serving.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Boy am I glad I quit drinking. If I lived in Washington still I couldn't afford to drink.

12. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Sad part is the state will piss it away on anything other than something constructive.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

I actually read all the literature regarding getting the State out of the Liquor business, i kept warning people, that they were voting for a nearly 50 percent increase, but they kept saying booze would be cheaper and i was an idiot, they weren't even aware that, they were voting for special taxes per bottle. i guess ignorance really does rule.

PETI, Methow and dryflylarry like this.
  14. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I don't mind paying more to privatize liquor. The state doesn't belong in the alcohol business. I'm a firm believer in the virtues of capitalism (not necessarily the laissez faire variety), and these things take time to balance out once the state gets its dirty hands out of it. If you don't like the tax, take part in the initiative process and change it.

15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    had to go to CA last weekend to see my son and take him his overdue Christmas swag. Sailor Jerry-the big bottle-at $19.95; same for Famous Grouse! We loaded up

But in Target, I watched a lady have her ID scanned-scanned, not just age checked-in order to purchase a Bic lighter!! I asked what the hell that was for, and was told the state collects data on who smokes, what they buy, and how frequently. Guess Orwell's 1984 is only a few decades late. They don't scan for the BBQ lighters, though.

16. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

If you want to compare Oregon price, here's the complete list of what a store can order up: http://www.olcc.state.or.us/pdfs/category_price_list.pdf

The actual bottle price you'll pay is the 'unit cost.' The 'consumer' taste' has gone waaay upscale vis a vis Single Malts. Many of the larger shops are stocking very expensive brands.