waddington shank verses tube flys

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by bennysbuddy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm interested in which style of fly ,waddington shank or tube fly results in more hook ups & why people think this is?

2. bennysbuddy

Quote(from the movie Ferris buellers day off) Anybody,Anybody

3. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

less for a fish to leverage against w/ a tube fly. as long as youre using a short shank hook. w/ a wadd, shank is attatched to the hook, not sliding free.

4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I like shanks, I feel like it is easier to tie on shanks than tubes.

5. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Long live Bjorn shanks! But, I think it's probably a wash.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Bjorn shanks for the win! (Although I actually like tubes for their simplicity. No idea about greater fish catching ability).

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

7. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I think if the trailer hook on a shank is tied on with braid or something it's the same leverage since the pivot point is the hook eye.

Tubes are cheaper for sure. Easier to change hooks. You can tie them nice and light if you want. You don't have to plan out your fly, just chop off what's left at the end.

Shanks seem easier to tie on for me too. They seem better for heavy flies. Definitely more time consuming to tie in the trailer hook. Can't do beads or cones but hold lead eyes better.

I got through phases of tying on both. I seem to run winter flies on shanks and summer flies on traditional hooks or tubes.

In the end it's all car keys on the end of string...

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  8. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

In my opinion, I think tubes are better then shanks in almost every way other then the fact the shanks are heavier than tubes. Tubes allow you to:
    -Change hooks easier, no messing with wire,braid,mono,etc.
    -Wire fatigue is not something you have to worry about, neither is wire twist
    -Can tie larger and smaller flies then on shanks
    -Can fish skaters with trailing hooks better
    -stackable to change color/profile/size
    -cheaper
    -systems like protube allow infinite color/weight options

Again, just my opinion, but something to think about. Tubes, especially long rigid tubes fished in very cold air/water temps are prone to breaking if you strike rocks or snag up. tying a 45 minute tube intruder just to have it break in half kinda sucks. but thats why I like simple bunny/marabou tubes.

9. garthman

garthman Member

if you use spinner bait shafts as a shank, you can tie flies up to about 7 inches long or as short as you want. and, they cost less than waddington shanks or tubes if you buy them in bulk.

10. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I love them both! Frodin tubes for me and Wadington shanks. Shanks are for flies you want more weight. Tubes for less weight. That's the main difference in my opinion. I have a couple of great Guideline tube needles that make is easy to tie tubes on my Regal vice! I have one of the old HMH tube fly attachments as well, but don't like it. Tubes are easy to tie on if you lay down a good thread base before you get going.

I've been meaning to try Enumer tubes and cones, but have a good amount of Frodin tubes, cones, etc.. What I really want is one of the new tube fly boxes from Off the Hook (http://www.offthehooktube.com/boxes.php). I'm tired of my plano boxes since the tube flies and articulated flies get all messed up. Gonna get the big one soon!

Grayone likes this.
  11. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Hook up percentage is a fickle beast because there are so many factors at play when a fish grabs your fly. But having the hook riding where it should be helps a ton.That said a tube fly with the hook eye pulled snug into the junction tubing is the best combo I've found especially for plucky summer runs and soft water winter runs. For a larger bodied or weighted winter bug I like waddington or similar shank with a wire stinger loop for durability and balance and improved hook posture while swimming. Bunny flies... I'm back where I started with spinner bait shanks and fireline loops threaded through the bunny. Just my $.02

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Waddingtons are also nice because if your stinger loop goes to shit you can thread your line through the fly and rig a hook tube fly style with junction tubing on the back loop for those rare times a fly lasts that long without being sacrificed to the river gods

13. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Tubes can be a pain to trim correctly, and if you tie dorso-ventral patterns (as opposed to in the round) on tubes, they have a tendency to ride on their sides - in faster water, they tend to spin.

For in-the-round patterns and skaters, they are great.

If you have the hook in the right place, I don't think you would see much difference in hookups and holds between the two.

14. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Shanks also have some built in mass. Adding a cone is different in terms of how the fly sinks versus having the mass more evenly distributed. Also, shanks are dirt cheap. Buying a 1000 spinner shanks costs me 11.50 and has set me up for a long time.

If you don't like the wire style set up for shanks, you can do the ol' skool rigging that Ed Ward and others did with junction tubiing and a mono 'eye hole' in the rear.

flybill and Chris Johnson like this.
  15. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

I love tubes, easy to tie, extremely versatile and customization is endless. I also don't miss many fish. I find that they are easy to weight if wanted with either the flexweights or dropweights, and all of mine swim true when fished regardless of water speed. They also offer way more versatility, customization, and sizing options than shanks. Just my .02

http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/pro-tube/pro-tube.htm - here's a pretty good run down

16. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Love those Scandi style tube flies. Nice, big, buggy profile, but still pleasant to look at. I've been tying a lot of those lately.

17. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I was thinking about straightening out paper clips for use as shanks, but man, that would really be cheap of me, even for me.

Sg

19. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Don't laugh, but the anodized aluminum ones make great shanks....

20. bennysbuddy

I just got some new intruder shanks made by Partridge at Patricks fly shop,no need to mess with wire or braid to attach your hook. These are the new age of wadding tons, I also was given some heavy stainless wire shanks made by fish shull(blain chockletts) that show promise.i'm going to use mustard siwash hooks on these(10848blh) as I do with regular wadding tons but now without having to use a barrel swivel to make the hook hang the right way. My intruders and such will have a new look and as a bonus I can change the hooks out to match the size I want with a pair of pliers in seconds