wader booties what are you using?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Sagebrush, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

I'm really enjoying my new (to me) pontoon. However, I'm using my wading boots and old caddis fins. Last year, some low-life stole my booties and power fins out of the back of my truck while camping at Crane Prairie.
    I'll wait a bit before spending a bit of money on fins, maybe I"ll get lucky and find a pair of used force fins. In the mean time I want to get another set of booties, but cannot find the type I had before.
    I tried a set of these on http://www.flyfishusa.com/apparel/glacier-glove/glacier-glove-bootie.htm pretty nice but they run a bit small.
    Anyone else using booties, and what are you using?

Used my pontoon for the first time in 2nd week of July for the first time in Kamloops area. A couple of photos: Pontoon after heavy sleet. Kids find a use for the pontoon.

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I got mine at a diving shop. They are old and tired ,have been repaired with goop and other stuff over the years, but they do protect the feet on my breathable waders. Check out a dive shop.

3. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I saw some booties on the NRS website that look similar to the ones in the picture you posted, they even have felt soles. I just wear my wading boots with my fins.

4. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

Both good ideas. Got a couple of dive shops around here, as well as Andy and Bax. I find wearing booties much more comfortable with the fins

5. barbless

barbless Member

6. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    "Stomach buying from Cabela's"... whassat about? I have had nothing but excellent service from Cabela's over the years. Sometimes I object to their shipping charges, but other than that they've been great.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Unless I've missed it, you haven't told us what you were using. Why not just 'Google' and find out if they're still available?

8. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

They were an from Simms, and were about 15 years old. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to find them, or something similar without much luck. Nor did I really
    see much of anything that I saw as a close alternative, which is why I thought I would ask. Lots of great experience and ideas here.

I looked at rafting booties at Andy and Bax's yesterday, those could work, but they were too small. I have not looked at a dive shop yet. Those cabelas boots might work.

9. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

sagebrush, I bought the cabelas this year, have not sent them back yet. The size is ok but the dont fit inside of my fins. would be great if they didnt have the felt on the bottoms.

10. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    My 20 yr old Orvis booties are coming apart so I wanted a new pair. The Orvis last was very narrow so they fit into my vintage (original) non adjustable Force Fins easily. But my feet extended beyond the narrow soles and the booties provided no real support. Also the soles were too flexible and I would frequently get painful cramps in my instep so I read an article about dive booties and looked around locally for the boots that made Editor's Choice with a more "athletic shoe" design and a rigid sole with better support. A local diveshop carries the SeaSoft products so I took my waders, heavy boot socks, and my Force Fins to check them out. I wear size 11-12 shoes depending on the last. I felt the the 3mm Sunray boots were cut too low to adequately protect my waders. The 6mm Stealth booties in XXL are too tight over waders with heavy boot socks but fit fine with a light sock. I figure 9mm of neoprene will be warm enough for lakes. They fit snugly in the Force Fins, and they were 20% off so they came home with me. They are a bit hard to put on because the zipper is backed by a full gusset that might be nice in cold water diving but I might slit and trim the gusset so it lays flat to expand the zipper opening. All in all I'm quite pleased with them.

11. speyday

speyday Rod tubes in the overhead compartment

Sounds like a guy who maybe likes to support his local private merchants rather than corporate monoliths. Sometimes, though, you just gotta.

12. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
    My local private flyshops seldom have what I want, and if they do have it it's way more expensive than online. Neither of them gives any good advice about the places I like to fish either, so they become pretty much a last choice for me.

13. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

I hadnt considered the fact that the booties might be too thick to get the fins on, something I better take into consideration. Thanks for the article about the dive booties, I'll be taking a look at the dive shops this Saturday.

14. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Wish I had a fly shop to go to, hour drive to a decent one( damn I miss H&H)!

15. Scott Mann

Scott Mann Speysayer

Chris I hear you! I find it very hard to believe that Bellingham does not have enough of a market to support a fly shop. I hit AATF when I head south, but otherwise I am relegated to online shops.

16. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    For use with my regular Force Fins in lakes... I use booties when wet wading, and just 1.5 mm neoprene socks to protect my wader stockings when using waders. They work out to be near equivilent in thickness fitting into the fins.

17. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Member

Thought I would give an update. I tried on a number of different products and ended up coming back to the glacier glove booties
    http://www.flyfishusa.com/apparel/gl...ove-bootie.htm. the fit wasnt perfect, but they work real nice, and found that with the
    sole, I could walk back to my camp site very comfortably. They are velcro enclosure, so I didnt have to worry about a zipper coming
    undone. And finally bought them at a local fly shop... I'd rather spend my money locally and with shops that support my sport